Star Trek (Film)

Tell us about the type of science fiction you enjoy.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Star Trek (Film)

Post by Ekuryua »

For all you trekkies out there, the cast of J.J. Abram's Star Trek reboot film has been set. Here's the lineup:

Chris Pine as James T. Kirk
Zachary Quinto as Spock
Karl Urban as Leonard McCoy
Simon Pegg as Montgomery Scott
Anton Yelchin as Pavel Chekov
Zoë Saldaña as Uhura
John Cho as Hikaru Sulu
Eric Bana as Nero, the villain of the film
Leonard Nimoy as the older Spock

Read the details about the film here.

Opinions?
End Transmission.
Stilts
Lander

Re: Star Trek (Film)

Post by Stilts »

Stilt's Knee-Jerk Reactions
  • Chris Pine: Well, I guess he DOES look like Kirk-ish. His resume doesn't seem too impressive...but I don't recall ever seeing him act, so I guess I can't really say if he'll be good or not.
  • Zachary Quinto: Yeah, Quinto's a really good actor. The only problem I can see him having is the same problem that Hugo Weaving had when he played Elrond in LOTR: a lot of people are going to remember him as a villain. It's not a big deal, but it'll be kind of weird for me to see Syler from Heroes help Kirk save lives rather than cut their heads open. :p
  • Karl Urban: While most of his filmography is relatively mediocre, I did like his portrayal of Eomer in The Lord of the Rings. As an added bonus, I can fairly easily picture him looking like a young McCoy.
  • Simon Pegg: Thank you, God! I honestly don't think I could have come up with a better actor for Scotty. Pegg is a great actor and hilarious to boot!
  • Anton Yelchin: Well, I can definitely see the resemblance to Chekov. I've never seen him act, though, so I can't comment on his abilities.
  • Zoë Saldaña: Yep, she'll probably make a good Uhura. Certainly has the looks for it. I've only ever seen her in Pirates of the Caribbean, but she seemed like a good actor in that movie. Or, at the very least, I didn't notice her as being bad.
  • John Cho: Looks the part, but I've never seen him act. I know, I'm sounding like a broken record, aren't I? He certainly has an interesting filmography, though. Let's hope he can play a serious part as well as (I've heard) he plays his comedic roles.
  • Eric Bana: From what I've seen, he's a good actor. His resume has just been a little hit-or-miss, that's all. It'll be interesting for me to see him play a villain, that's for sure.
  • Leonard Nimoy: What can I say? He's Nimoy, and he's awesome. I just hope he's not relegated to a few seconds of screen time that's meant purely to begin/end the movie with some fanservice.
As for J.J. Abram's being the director...well, he certainly has experience with sci-fi. Let's just hope he doesn't decide to have the Enterprise be attacked by polar bears or smoke monsters...or horribly convoluted plot-lines. XD
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

Well, I haven't seen any of them act, so... I guess I'll just wait to see how they model the Enterprise.
End Transmission.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

After watching a bit of Heroes, I think Quinto will do well as Spock. Now I'm a bit intrigued to see how they'll redesign the USS Enterprise...
End Transmission.
FatPianoBoy
Founding Member

Post by FatPianoBoy »

Redesign the enterprise? Isn't this new movie supposed to take place before Kirk takes command of it?
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

Nope, it'll have the Enterprise in it. According to Memory Alpha, the new Enterprise will still be recognizable, but have an updated look.
End Transmission.
Lunchbox
Lander

Post by Lunchbox »

Ekuryua wrote:For all you trekkies out there, the cast of J.J. Abram's Star Trek reboot film has been set. Here's the lineup:

Chris Pine as James T. Kirk
Zachary Quinto as Spock
Karl Urban as Leonard McCoy
Simon Pegg as Montgomery Scott
Anton Yelchin as Pavel Chekov
Zoë Saldaña as Uhura
John Cho as Hikaru Sulu
Eric Bana as Nero, the villain of the film
Leonard Nimoy as the older Spock

Read the details about the film here.

Opinions?
No I think it was Chris Pike was the cmdr of the Enderpirse.
No fear just Beer. We provide the enemy the opportunity to die for their country. Penetration before detonation.
IYAAYAS!
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

Chris Pine the actor
Christopher Pike the fictional starship captain
End Transmission.
Lunchbox
Lander

Post by Lunchbox »

And again it was lost when it got to Ekuryua, you have been hanging around Spock to much, Mel even laughed at that one she's is the gorram A.I.

I would like it if they could come up with new ideas instead of beating old ones to death.
Like enterprise, nice idea but they limited what they could do and doomed the show from the start.
We all know what the Klingons are like, and when the orion slave girls showed up the only question was who's going to get laid first?

If they want an idea for going back in time to see certain events happen there is always fallowing a Federation ship around space and time to prevent Temperial Prime Directive violations.
No fear just Beer. We provide the enemy the opportunity to die for their country. Penetration before detonation.
IYAAYAS!
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

I actually liked what Enterprise was doing. I think it's cancellation was a mistake... it was a really good show. It returned to the 'exploring strange new worlds' feel of the original show, which is IMO what Star Trek is all about.
End Transmission.
FatPianoBoy
Founding Member

Post by FatPianoBoy »

Lunchbox wrote: If they want an idea for going back in time to see certain events happen there is always fallowing a Federation ship around space and time to prevent Temperial Prime Directive violations.
Star Trek: The Headache Inducer?
:P
Lunchbox
Lander

Post by Lunchbox »

FatPianoBoy wrote:
Lunchbox wrote: If they want an idea for going back in time to see certain events happen there is always fallowing a Federation ship around space and time to prevent Temperial Prime Directive violations.
Star Trek: The Headache Inducer?
:P
No that is only if they go back in time fix something and turn off the shielding so when; they go back to fix it, but sense what was needed to be fix was never wrong they don't go back to fix it, so they go back to fix it, but sense what was needed to be fix was never wrong they don't go back to fix it, so they go back to fix it, but sense what was needed to be fix was never wrong they don't go back to fix it, so they go back to fix it, but sense what was needed to be fix was never wrong they don't go back to fix it, so they go back to fix it, but sense what was needed to be fix was never wrong they don't go back to fix it, so they go back to fix it, but sense what was needed to be fix was never wrong they don't go back to fix it, so they go back to fix it, but sense what was needed to be fix was never wrong they don't go back to fix it, so they go back to fix it, but sense what was needed to be fix was never wrong they don't go back to fix it, so they go back to fix it, but sense what was needed to be fix was never wrong they don't go back to fix it, so they go back to fix it, but sense what was needed to be fix was never wrong they don't go back to fix it, so they go back to fix it, but sense what was needed to be fix was never wrong they don't go back to fix it, so they go back to fix it, but sense what was needed to be fix was never wrong they don't go back to fix it, so they go back to fix it, but sense what was needed to be fix was never wrong they don't go back to fix it, so they go back to fix it, but sense what was needed to be fix was never wrong they don't go back to fix it, so they go back to fix it, but sense what was needed to be fix was never wrong they don't go back to fix it, so they go back to fix it, but sense what was needed to be fix was never wrong they don't go back to fix it, so they go back to fix it, but sense what was needed to be fix was never wrong they don't go back to fix it, so they go back to fix it, but sense what was needed to be fix was never wrong they don't go back to fix it, so they go back to fix it, but sense what was needed to be fix was never wrong they don't go back to fix it, so they go back to fix it, but sense what was needed to be fix was never wrong they don't go back to fix it, so they go back to fix it, but sense what was needed to be fix was never wrong they don't go back to fix it...... you get the piont. :roll:
IYAAYAS!
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

Update: For those of you who haven't heard yet, Star Trek has an absolutely amazing new trailer (Trailer 3) which has elevated hype for the film to a fever pitch. A few higher-ups at Paramount have seen the completed film, and the press has seen a 20-minute clip. So far, the buzz has been highly positive. If this trend continues, we may be in for an awesome movie on May 8th.

If you want to follow the film, TrekMovie is a great site with all the latest Trek news. I will also post any major updates in this topic. Stay tuned!

:rofl
End Transmission.
risk
Lander

Post by risk »

that has gone to the top of my awesome list. looking forward to may8, thats for sure. hi all, been part of project haruhi for a bit, decided to come across and investigate...
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

Of particular interest is the planet being destroyed in the trailer. There is much speculation as to which planet it is. Right now, the popular guesses are
Spoiler:
Vulcan or Romulus Personally, I think its Vulcan.
I plan to see this movie on Saturday, May 9th. I'll probably see it more than once.
End Transmission.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

A new Star Trek TV spot just dropped. Check it out in HD with one of the links below.
480p 720p 1080p
End Transmission.
risk
Lander

Post by risk »

so this is a total re imagining of the star trek universe, i'm just worried the 2009 render of the original enterprise will make my prized next generation series look dated...
still, at last we may have the star trek movie with an actual plot! Nemesis, while I kinda tolerated it for the sheer captain picardness of it and it being the last shebang for TNG, the lack of proper storyline certainly didn't make it a favorite. Insurrection, First Contact, and Generations were all faithful to the series, and really good.

CG looks fantastic, that's certainly an incentive to go see it
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

For any Brits among us, YOU could attend the London Star Trek premiere for only £70. Get 'em while they're available!
End Transmission.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

For all those shameless materialists among us, check out the Star Trek Playmates Toys website. Click on the "vehicles" tab to check out the new Enterprise model, and click on the "roleplay" tab to see the phaser, communicator and tricorder toys.
End Transmission.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

Paramount's new strategy for promoting the new film... Orion Animal Women! EXPLICIT: Contains VERY scantily-clad green females
End Transmission.
Diaho
Site Administrator

Post by Diaho »

Ekuryua wrote:Paramount's new strategy for promoting the new film... Orion Animal Women! EXPLICIT: Contains VERY scantily-clad green females
Hmmm! I know you can see less clothing on the beach.. but.. remember we are PG-13.. That is all.... :amismiling

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."

Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

Hence why it was linked with an EXPLICIT tag. I know the rules well; I wrote them, after all. :P
End Transmission.
risk
Lander

Post by risk »

will save the link for next month... :mrgreen:
anyway, just saw the watchmen film (awesome btw) and of course the star trek preview before hand. on the big screen its going to be really really good (heres hoping, that is...)
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

Any Australians among us can attend the World Premiere of Star Trek at the Sydney Opera House for a mere $100 (plus booking fees)! The tickets go on sale Monday, March 30th at 9:00 AM Australian Eastern Daylight Time and can be purchased online at the Sydney Opera House's website. The premiere takes place at 7:00 PM on April 7th, and each attendee gets a free poster.

Additionally, some posters for Star Trek have been revealed.

American Poster

Japanese Poster
End Transmission.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

More Orion Women spotted, this time at a Nightclub in NY! (EXPLICIT: Scantily-clad green women)

Honestly, the makeup on these latest gorgeous green gals looks a lot better (i.e. less greasy), although it seems to be coming off around the face...
End Transmission.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

In case you were wondering why Paramount is employing so many buxom green beauties to promote Star Trek, check out who shows up in Jim Kirk's bed. Can you guess Kirk's favorite color?

--Image from Rittenhouse's upcoming Star Trek movie collector card set
End Transmission.
Ekuryua
Vassel

Post by Ekuryua »

Paramount has pulled one of the most amazing marketing stunts in fan history.

Last night, Paramount had obstinately scheduled a showing of Wrath of Khan at the Alamo Draughthouse in Austin, Texas. As a special treat for the fans, they said they would provide a 10-minute sneak peek of new footage from the film. However, 2 or 3 minutes into the showing of Khan, the movie apparently 'melted', then Leonard Nimoy walked onstage and asked the crowd if they'd rather see the new film instead. The response was enthusiastic, to say the least, and Austin Trek fans were treated to the world premiere of Star Trek.

There you have it... the first stealth world premier in history. Early reviews are very positive...

--via Trekmovie
End Transmission.
risk
Lander

Post by risk »

its hard to put my current feelings of INCREDIBLE JEALOUSY *twitch* into words.
Diaho
Site Administrator

Post by Diaho »

risk wrote:its hard to put my current feelings of INCREDIBLE JEALOUSY *twitch* into words.
Yeah... what he said... and I'm going to Austin too.. Grrr.. :banghead

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."

risk
Lander

Post by risk »

Epic flic, certainly an excellent re-invention of the origins of star trek. I wanna see it again.

The film is set in an alternate timeline to the startrek universe we know and love. Certain things that should of happened did not, and vice versa. The revamping of how james kirk became captain of the enterprise probably will disappoint alot of fans of the original series/films, but from someone who has only ever seen them once it was a thrill. Initially he came across as a stuck up jerk, but quickly (and through a good script) you saw past the smug exterior and came to like the guy.

Casting was excellent across the board, all the new actors fitted into their roles pretty well, i liked especially Leonard McCoy.
However some of the elements of the story were pretty rushed, but granted there was a lot to pack into 120 minutes. Some of the story points as well were pretty absurd. Someone will have to explain to me how a cadet can jump lots of ranks to captain in one hit with zero experience. I dont classify that as a spoiler because everyone going to see this movie knows this fact already. Other points are just niggles that probably can be explained away as story necessities.

And the new old enterprise is hawt. very hawt. a modern take on the old hawt shape. hawt times hawt = hawt squared.

...I want to see the film again.