10_School Days

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

10_School Days

Post by Diaho »

School Days

“Doctor Sasoum we are thirty minutes from the Capital.” The attendant was holding a drink before the doctor. Taking the drink the doctor spoke. “Thank you, just where will we be arriving?” The attendant spoke. “Service gate one, at the royal family port. Admiral Kenesh will be meeting you there.” The doctor proceeds to consume the rest of her drink. “I see. You think I might get another one of these?” The attendant took the empty glass from her hand. “I’ll be right back with another one.” Dr Sasoum stares out the window, the Capital was coming into view. “The royal gate, so close to my lab and Kenesh is going to meet me in person. Well I guess she’ll want answers as soon as possible.” The attendant arrived with another drink. The doctor took it thanked the attendant and continued to watch the Capital grow larger in the window.

Debeusec sat looking out the shuttle window. It would be four more days till he arrived at the planet. It had been a good idea to take the ambassadors pickup shuttle. It had given him time to remove the weight of his duties from his mind. He would arrive relaxed and refreshed. He would be able to communicate with Lafiel having a clear and open mind. A small smile came across his face. The stars seem to twinkle with acceptance.

Kenesh had given up using her office. She was more comfortable in the conference room at the end of the corridor. Opening the door Ramaj found the lights were set very dim. Kenesh was floating above the table, facing the ceiling a set of data charts and several note files were displayed before her. Upon closer examination Ramaj found that Kenesh was sound asleep. The area around the table had gravity it was just the table top itself that was set for a weight less state. Timing her next move, as not to push Kenesh out of the field and crashing to the floor. Ramaj gently poked Kenesh in the side. Kenesh’s head turns towards the direction she had been touched. Her eyes slowly opened and a smile comes across her face. “Oh it’s you. I must have dozed off.” Before she could finish Ramaj spoke. “The shuttle is twenty-two minutes out. I’m glad I came to get you. Had I blasted a Com alert, you would have fallen on the floor.”

Kenesh was becoming aware of what was transpiring. She slowly balanced the gravity field of the tabletop and neatly sat herself on the edge of the table. Hopping onto the floor she looks at Ramaj and says. “Then I guess I need to get going.” Before she reached the door she heard. “Are you Okay?” She stops, turns and saw Ramaj with a look of concern on her face. “Yes I’m fine. I’ve made peace with myself on this issue. I can do this objectively.” With that she turned and left the room. Ramaj powered down the displays. Then she followed Kenesh out of the room. Once in the corridor this nagging thought that Kenesh had not been completely truthful with her arose. She had other duties to perform and Kenesh did seem to be fine. She noted her perception of Kenesh and continued down the corridor.

In her quarters Admiral Nastoyia sat. She had spent the last seventy – two hours in pursuit of the Rebel fleet. Now she had lost them. With a call to the bridge she arranged for her commanders to hold a briefing from her quarters. She sat at the table and twenty-five small screens appeared around her. It was a simple briefing she ordered the group back to normal space and to assemble in the planetary group surrounding Sord 577. She asked her commanders to review each of their group’s requirements and to forward them to her chief of staff as soon as possible.

She finished. ”The transport and supply vessels will be waiting in the system when we arrive. Those ships not requiring repairs will refuel first. Then ships requiring repairs will be assessed. Finally rearming and crew replacements. We will consolidate our forces and go looking for the Rebels again.” Twenty-five commanders nodded with approval and then disappeared.

To be a member of Nastoyia fleet you had to be in the top five percent in your class, an experienced officer with an exemplary service record and female. This applies to her crew and staff as well. Her Chief of Staff was a no nonsense woman. She held the same dislike for male officers as the Admiral did. Admiral Nastoyia lay back on her bunk. This was a great disappointment to her. She desperately wanted the Rebel leader captured and his fleet destroyed. Sleep did not come easy to her.

Shoes in hand and uniform pants rolled up to her knees. Ekuryua wadded in the lagoon. The small fish wriggled between her toes. The water was warm and Risch watched all of this with great interest. He had never seen her so relaxed before and she had a smile unlike any he had ever seen. She seemed completely content on this planet. He did like what he saw. Soon hunger intervened and they returned to the shelter. On the walk back they stopped often to view or explore the natural flowers and plant life that the planet contained. The smell of breakfast greeted them upon their return. It seems that Jinto went all out for his guest.

Lafiel still slept in the sun chair. Jinto had set the table up outside. The meal was just put out as Ekuryua and Risch approached. Jinto saw them and spoke. “Great timing, the meal is done and I won’t have to go looking for you.” Ekuryua looks at the meal it was impressive meat, eggs, vegetables and breads, enough to feed a small army. She looks at Jinto. “Do you always do the cooking? I thought Lafiel had become quite the cook herself.” Jinto smiled. “She’s a good cook. But lately, she has not had the motivation to cook. So I’ve done it and it’s not a problem.” Jinto motioned to the table. ”Sit, eat, before it gets cold. I’ll go get Lafiel.” He left and walked to the sun chair.

Lafiel was laying on her back the large sun hat covering her face and her hair gently blowing in the breeze. Jinto approached the chair and touched her hand. It was immediately pulled away. Jinto tried again this time the other hand nearly took his head off. Watching from the table Ekuryua and Risch stopped eating and started taking a greater interest in what was happening before them.

Jinto was not deterred he stood off to one side and gently poked Lafiel in the side the response was immediate and excessive. Lafiel was out of the chair; she hit Jinto with flying cross body block. They both hit the ground and continued to wrestle for position. Risch went to stop them Ekuryua grabbed his shirt. “Let them be. No harm has come to either of them. This little display interests me.” Risch sat down, he look at Ekuryua she had this evil little smile on her face it was a smile he had seen before.

Lafiel ended up on top of Jinto. She was sitting in his lap. From there, she proceeded to unmercifully tickle Jinto. The wind blew her dress up around her head and the hair in her face. Undaunted she continued to attack Jinto’s ribs. Jinto was writhing in pain and laughter. His movements beneath her were causing other reactions as well. Lafiel sensed what was happening and stopped her assault. Jinto laid on the ground gasping for breath and Lafiel sat firmly on his lap her legs holding him at bay. “Well Jinto I’m glad to see I still can get the best of you.”

Jinto gasping, looks towards the table. Their guests were wide-eyed and smiling at them. Jinto looks at her and says. “Lafiel. You put on quite a show for our guest as well. I would not call that a fair fight.” She just smiles. “Jinto those are our friends. I would not put on such a display for mere guest.” She settled herself in his lap. “I believe we have a more pressing issue to take care of.” Jinto looks at her. “You feel up to it?” Lafiel stood up. She helps Jinto to his feet. She shook out her hair and straightened her dress. Then she turns towards their friends. “You’ll excuse us. We have some business to take care of. Eat, enjoy yourself we will be back shortly.” With that they went inside.

Risch looks at Ekuryua. She was dazed, just slightly. Lafiel’s show was a little more than she had expected. She returned to her food trying to avoid eye contact with Risch. Risch grabbed a roll from the serving plate. He sat it on Ekuryua’s plate. Then took his hand and gently turned her face towards his. What he saw surprised him. She was crying. Her face was very flushed and the tears streamed down her cheeks around her lips and off her chin into her lap. She looks at him. She put down her fork and dove into his arms. He just held her there. She started sobbing and trying to speak at the same time. “I knew she was aggressive. I knew she loved him. I’m jealous. I never had anybody care that way for me. I never” Risch pulled her head from his chest taking his thumbs and gently wiping the tears from her eyes. He very passionately kissed Noel. It was a long and involved kiss. Gasping for breath. They both sat back and looked at each other. Then she took a long look at him. “You did that because you felt sorry for me?” He shook his head. “No Noel. I’ve always wanted to kiss you like that. It’s just that. On board ship it was impossible and we never took leave together, till now.” She leaned on his shoulder. “Let’s cover the food and go take a walk we can talk more and maybe.” She winked at him. He helped her put the food away they left arm in arm heading for the lagoon.

Kenesh was hot on the doctor’s heels as they entered her lab. “Status report!” The doctor shouted as she blew through the door. Her staff reacting as usual gave her the status of the two beings in stasis. “The girls brain activity went to zero just before you arrived. His brain activity has been off the charts. It seems he’s trying to bring himself out of stasis.”

The doctor looked at Kenesh. “Do we wake him?” Kenesh nods her head. “Prepare to wake him.” The staff took their stations. The doctor looks at Kenesh. “Is your daughter fine has she shown any ill effects?” Kenesh assured the doctor that Ariel Ablïarsec was fine. “It will take about three hours for him to revived to a state where you can talk to him. Why don’t you get some rest.”

Kenesh left the room a senior staffer came to the doctor. “You might want to look at this it’s the results of the child’s brain scan. The center of the brain that supports the body stills functions. All other higher brain functions ceased several hours ago. Doctor. She is brain dead and we are not sure why.” The doctor scowled at the results. “Get me a DNA sample.” She kept reading the results and kept thinking. “What caused the brain to cease function so suddenly.” She now had a new mystery on her hands, a mystery, which had to be solved as soon as possible. The display showed that Dusanyu would be out of stasis in two point seven hours. She wondered if he knew the answer.

“Hungry?” Jinto asked. Lafiel was sitting on the edge of the bed. She turns towards him. “Jinto. I’m sorry. I got a little rough with you. I embarrassed you in front of them. But I’ve been having these strange feelings and urges lately and I finally lost control. She blushes and continues. “I must tell you had they not been here. We would still be outside where we started. That was not very lady like of me. The Grand Chamberlain would have had a fit had he seen my performance. I can’t seem to control my urges. She looks at Jinto. He was deep in thought and still wincing for her playfulness. “Do you think any less of me?” Jinto sat up and leans against her. “No Lafiel. You and I have lots of differences and likes between us. This overpowering urge of yours to be physically aggressive is, well, quite enjoyable. Just try not to break me. I am fragile and we still have two hundred years together. So let’s not burn ourselves out. I was surprised that you had the energy to even start. Let alone go the distance. You’ve been so tired lately.”

She gazes out the window. “You know Jinto. My mind is still foggy. But my body feels quite relaxed. I’m hungry. Let’s get something to eat. Then I want to soak in the hot tub for a while. Okay?” Jinto inquires. “By yourself?” Lafiel nods. “Well then Risch, Ekuryua and I will look at the data she brought.” Lafiel stood she went for the robe at the end of the bed. Seeing an opportunity Jinto gently slapped her bottom. She picks up the robe and turns towards him. “Are you ready to start where we left off?” Jinto smiles. “Let’s eat first. Get some work done. Then.” He took a good look at Lafiel. “It is your planet.” Lafiel immediately corrected him. “It’s our home Jinto. You have as much say as I do as to what goes on around here.”

She stood up and put on the robe as she walked to the door Jinto stopped her. “Lafiel stand still and back up just a little.” She knew what he was after. She backed up against the wall. Putting her heels firmly against the bottom of the wall then she stood up straight. Jinto walked over to her and put his hand over her head. She slipped to the side. “Ah another three cm. That makes you one hundred sixty-point five-cm. On Martine you would be five foot three inches tall. I am 168 cm, which is five foot six inches tall. Lafiel you keep going like this and you will be taller than I am.” She looks at the marks on the wall, a total increase of five-point five-cm (a little over two inches) in less than a month. “Jinto. What about the rest of me?” Jinto turns towards her his hands gently caressed her. She blushed. “Well with out measuring I’d say your proportions have filled out as well. You want me to measure you?” She turns towards the door. “Not now Jinto. I’m hungry lets eat and Jinto. Remember to put some clothes on before you follow me.”

The walk to the lagoon took them past some of the most beautiful scenery on the island. Walking arm and arm Noel and Risch stopped, looked and talked along their way to the lagoon. Once there they wadded into the lagoon. They made it to chest deep before the long awaited caress began. They stood there half floating fully clothed and wrapped in each other’s arms. A warm breeze blew across the lagoon and the two friends started a journey that would encompass their lifetime.

“Jinto I wonder where they went?” Jinto was still eating. He looks at his creunoc. “According to this they are ten meters into the lagoon. I would guess about chest deep and floating. Their life signs are accelerated. They seem to be fine.” Lafiel took a bite of food she chews and swallows it. “So what you’re saying is that they are muddying up the lagoon. They probably are upsetting the fish too. I guess it would not be the first time the fish were upset.” She gently chuckles. “Jinto I’m going to the hot tub. I don’t want to be in more than two hours. You will come and get me in two hours?” Jinto set the timer on his creunoc. “Two hours it is Lafiel.” She left the table and headed for the tub. Jinto watched as she walked away, the sun passing through the robe. Her dimensions were changing for the best he thought. He cleared the table and went inside to start viewing Ekuryua’s data.

The water in the lagoon was warm. But in time it was pulling the heat out of their bodies. Their retreat to the shelter was hasty. They were freezing. Once their Risch got some clean clothes from Jinto. Risch changes and starts to look at the data with Jinto. When Noel found out Lafiel was in the hot tub. She grabbed a robe and disappeared. It was a short walk to the tub from the shelter and Noel had not warmed up at all. She hoped that Lafiel likes her tub warm. She approached the tub. Lafiel was facing her, eyes closed. She dropped her robe in the sand and stealthily slipped into the tub facing Lafiel.

The gentle ripple of the water brought Lafiel’s eyes open. She was not surprised. “You’re back. Did you disturb the fish in the lagoon?” The water was a perfect temperature Noel was no longer cold. She answers. “The fish are fine and since you are inquiring. We did not take our clothes off.” Lafiel was looking at Noel she replies. “Do you normally just slip into a tub without asking? Not that I mind. I was just wondering if you were raised well?” The temperature of the water surrounding Noel rose sharply. She focused those blue green eyes and replied. “You were asleep. I was freezing. I took advantage of the situation. I’m sorry Lafiel. I can’t guarantee that it will not happen again.” Lafiel’s eyes just twinkled. “It’s fine Noel. You and I need sometime together. When Jinto and I are done with the training class we need to do some traveling. We will need to plan that. So you and I can enjoy the tub and talk business as well.”

Noel leans back in the tub her feet gently brushed against Lafiel’s. “So where do you want to go Lafiel?” Lafiel repositioned herself. “The first place is Vorash. It’s high time I met Jinto’s best friend and keeper of his harem.” Noel raised an eyebrow. “Then where?” Lafiel went on. “The Hyde System and then My Kingdom, The Nation of Roses. Jinto’s never seen it and it’s been so long since I have seen the system. I’d like to check it out. With these uncertain days having an attack vessel to travel in would be an excellent idea. Don’t you think so Noel?” She leans back in the tub, her blue green eyes hardened. “My ship, my command, you don’t get the center seat. Is that agreeable Lafiel?” Lafiel smiles. “Yes Noel. We understand each other perfectly.”

The balance of their time was spent relaxing. Jinto was surprised to find them in the tub together. Handing Noel her robe and helping Lafiel dress he had an announcement to make. “We figured out a way to destroy their new shield you need to see what we have discovered.” Ekuryua fastened her robe she turns to Jinto. “That’s great. I can send your discovery to Ramaj and she can forward it to Admiral Nastoyia.” Lafiel glared at Ekuryua. “Nastoyia? That witch! How did?” Lafiel recovered. “So she’s in charge. Well Jinto, we will know you and Risch found the answer. But we will have to send it as if Ekuryua has discovered it. Admiral Nastoyia does not trust males at all. If she knew a man found the answer. She would destroy her fleet rather than use anything from a male.” Jinto stares at Lafiel. “You’re kidding?” She frowned. Jinto accepted the fact. “Risch is going to be upset.” Ekuryua looks at Jinto. “Don’t worry. I’ll take care of him. Let’s go see what you found.” They head for the shelter.

Entering the classroom several display were open all with views of the battle between Admiral Nastoyia’s fleet and the Rebel fleet. Risch was sitting with his back to them. “Jinto did you bring them with you?” Ekuryua answers. “Yes Risch. We are behind you.” Risch continues. “I ask you to watch the first display. I’ll start the replay pay close attention to the rebel vessel in the center of the display.” The replay starts, as each mine impacts the ship its shield glows a brilliant white. Then suddenly the color changed to a blinding orange. Then with in a blink of an eye it vanished. “The replay was in standard time. Let me slow it down so we can view it again.” The display starts again, this time at one-quarter speed. “Count the mine impacts.” The display shows four mine impacts, then what looks like two different impacts. It was here that the color shifted. “Pause display. Reverse point two seconds.” The display froze then retreated slightly. “Pause.” Risch walks to the display. The rest followed. “We were unsure at first. But if you look here that is a mine and this is an Em rifle shot. Watch what happens as they explode at the same time in the same area.” Risch forwards the display frame by frame. When the two impacted and explode they gave off a ripple effect being of two dissimilar energy signatures. The ship rapidly disintegrates under the shock wave. “The mines and the Em rifles use two different sources of energy. Our theory is their shield can only absorb one type of energy at a time and when confronted with a discharge such as this. Their system overloads and the ship vaporizes.”

Ekuryua stood studying the display. “You have more examples of this I assume?” Risch points to the other displays. “I see.” Then she noticed a display opened separate from the others. “And this one?” Risch put himself between this display and them. “This one I found after Jinto left to get you. I warn you now it’s quite disturbing. Ready?” Ekuryua nods. Risch starts the display. What comes into view was Trife’s flagship in the foreground and Spoor’s flagship in the background. Within a few seconds an Em rifle shot glances off Trife’s shield and impacts Spoor’s shield reduced ship below the bridge. The explosion was near fatal. Ekuryua stood there motionless. Before she could speak Lafiel spoke. “Display, reverse five seconds advance by frame.” Several frames pass the Em shot comes into view. “Freeze. Analyze.” The display froze the computer started identifying everything in the frame. Trife’s ship its status displayed. Spoors ship its status as well. Then it displayed the Em shot. Source: Abh. Safeties set off, Intended target, Admiral Trife’s flagship. “View. Reverse. Show me where that shot came from!” Lafiel commanded. The view reversed. Three ships came into view all attack vessels one of them was Admiral Nastoyia flagship. The computer could not accurately confirm the origin of the Em shot but with a forty-percent probability the flagship started flashing.

Lafiel stood there speechless. The rest of the group followed Lafiel’s example. It was Jinto. The only non-Abh who finally spoke, “Why would Admiral Nastoyia try to destroy Admiral Trife. I though that trait was weaned out generations ago?” Lafiel spun around. She faces Jinto. “Remember Jinto, we came from humans. Some traits are harder to erase than others. What we have seen here we must keep to ourselves. To wrongly accuse Admiral Nastoyia, we don’t have all the facts.” Jinto looks at her. “I think that display is pretty incriminating. Why don’t we forward it to the Capital and let them decide? If not we should at least warn Admiral Trife.” Lafiel stares at him. “We will do nothing, in the haste of battle. Mistakes happen. As far as Admiral Trife is concerned, his ship was operational. His sensor logs will show what we have seen and probably in better detail. It’s his call to confront Admiral Nastoyia. This discussion is over Jinto.”

Lafiel turned on her heels and left the room. Ekuryua followed her. Risch faces Jinto. “It’s the Pride of the Abh. To kill another Abh for no reason is the most heinous crime. It’s never spoken of and you should not interfere.” Risch left the room. Jinto stood there. “Computer encrypt this file, level five, save, then transmit it to the Hyde fuel depot attach this message. Forward to Admiral Spoor, Eyes-Only. The computer acknowledged his request. Jinto turned off the displays. On his way out of the room he thought. “I won’t interfere. But Spoor deserves to know who fired the shot that almost killed her. Then she can figure out why.”

He found Lafiel sitting in the sun chair he sat next to her. ”You ready for lunch?” She does not face him. “Jinto. I’m not hungry. Can you leave me alone for awhile?” Jinto stands up and starts for the garden. “Okay Lafiel. Whenever you’re ready. I’ll be here. I’m not planning on going anywhere.” He kept on walking and he never looked back. Lafiel just watched as he disappeared down the path. The tears were streaming down her face.

“Doctor he is awake and he is asking for you.” Doctor Sasoum rose from her desk, pressed the Com button and replied. “On my way. Inform Admiral Kenesh as well.” She did not wait for a reply she was on the move. Restrained to a table the clone of Dusanyu lay. He spoke as the doctor entered the room. “Do you really need to restrain me? I pose no further threat to you.” The doctor inform him that Kenesh was the only one who could release him and that she was on her way. He accepted the explanation. “Why did you revive me?” The doctor explained that his brain activity went off the scale and it seemed that he was trying to bring himself out of stasis. “I see and the child?” The doctor went on to explain the child’s higher functions had ceased several hours ago.

Kenesh entered the room mid way through the last explanation. “I understand. The child’s fate awaits me as well. It seems that their threat has come to be reality.” The doctor and Kenesh both stared in disbelief. “I’ve had this memory bit floating around in my head since you put me in stasis. A nightmare would describe it better. It’s my mindless body sitting in a chair with my mind trying to move it but nothing happens. Then a voice says this is what will happen if you are found out. The child’s DNA destabilized did it not?” Kenesh looks at the doctor, she spoke. “He is correct. The report arrived just as he became conscious. Her brain was destabilized. The high functions were blanked. Only the autonomic system is intact and functioning.” He nods his head. “You can’t stop the process once it starts. There are many things I wish to tell you before I leave. First you MUST promise me to destroy both of us. Kill the shells. It’s too cruel to leave the bodies without their souls.”

Kenesh motions the doctor aside. They had a long discussion just out of Dusanyu’s hearing. An agreement was reached. They returned to his bedside. Kenesh loosened and removed most of the restraints that held him down. His arms and legs were freed the torso was still restrained. “I’m sorry. I can have you get up and leave now can I?” He nods in agreement. “I’ll have a recorder brought here so we may make an accurate record of your statements.” She turns away from him and spoke into her creunoc. A few minutes later a clerk with a recorder and two armed guards show up. He looks at Kenesh. “Trusting as always. I see. Does this mean you will keep your end of the deal to terminate us?” The doctor told him that before any harm came to him she would end his life. She also stated that life support was being terminated on the child as well. He motioned to the clerk. “Start recording child. I have a lot to get off my chest.” The clerk sat close to the bed the device operating. Kenesh motioned the doctor from the room. “Do you really plan on killing them?” The doctor faces at her. “Yes. The child is already dead. There is no conscious to revive from stasis. His mind will begin to unravel soon he will be in terrible pain and confusion. You really want that to happen. It won’t happen to you or I. Our genetics preclude that from happening so he should die the same way. He is Abh.” Kenesh agreed. She had closed her mind to him to be able to cope with seeing him again. She left the doctor and walked down the corridor.

“Your Excellency? When we contact the planet to request the transfer shuttle, should we inform them that you are aboard?” the Captain of the transport asked. “I wish it to be a surprise. There will be no information transmitted concerning me to the planet or the attack vessel guarding the planet. Have I made myself clear on this?” The captain stiffened. “Yes Your Excellency I will do as you have ordered.” He returned to the bridge of the transport. Debeusec looks to the star just coming into view. “Soon I will be there. I’ll get to see you both and experience your class. See the planet again and visit with you my very precious daughter. Very soon now.”

“Samson, Samson!” Seelnay was searching for him. She found him in the control room. He had heard her coming and was ready when she came through the door. “What is it now Seelnay? I’m busy here.” She points to the communications terminal. “This just came in. It’s from Count Hyde and it’s encrypted. Just following your orders. I’ve notified you it’s here.” She turns on her heels and leaves the room. Samson looks at the message. The encryption that was used is a highly classified one. Forward to Spoor Eyes-Only. Samson knew this was trouble and acknowledged receipt of the message transferred it to a blank crystal and left for the base hospital.

Kufadis was sitting in the waiting area. He had just come from Spoor’s room. She had drifted off to sleep. He saw Samson approaching. “Samson. Over here.” Samson spotted Kufadis and made a beeline to him. He handed the crystal to him. “This just came from Count Hyde. How’s the Admiral doing?” Kufadis scanned the crystal with his creunoc. His face lit up. “Imperial encryption code the real secure one. I’ll have to go to the ship to view this.”

He faces Samson. ”Since she order herself here, to be close to the ship and the crew. She’s made steady progress. It’s going to be awhile before she’ll be up and around. But the doctors are sure she will be as good as she was before.” Kufadis looks at the crystal again. Then back at Samson. “Do you have any idea what’s on this?” Samson looks back at him “Nope. I need a Star Forces vessel to decrypt it. The boy does not want me to know its contents. My guess is it’s going to be very important.” Kufadis clutched the crystal. “Well she’s asleep now. I guess I’ll go view this. In this case, my eyes are hers as well. Thank you Samson. Sorry I can tell you it’s contents. You’ll have to get that out of the sender.” Kufadis turns and heads for the ship. Samson watches him disappear then he left for the depot.

Aboard ship and in his cabin Kufadis decrypted the crystal. Not only did it contain the data of the shot. It contained the conversation and reviews that occurred when it was viewed on the planet. It was as if he had been standing there. After three viewings he concluded that the Admiral would have to be much stronger to view this. He also made a mental note to himself to remove weapons and breakables from the room before he showed it to her. He put the crystal in a secure place and went back to the hospital.

Leaving the ship he noticed that the repairs were progressing according to schedule. The ship would be battle ready before it’s commander would. Kufadis left the gangway he entered the base. Dutifully he returned to the place where he had spent most of his off duty hours. Spoor’s room beside her bed waiting for the day he would get her back.

Jinto left Lafiel alone the rest of the day in well into the night. Noel and Risch had spent the day walking and talking as they explored the island. When they returned, dinner was ready and Lafiel was absent. Jinto dined with them when they were finished, he prepared a plate for Lafiel. Noel asked if she could take it to her. Jinto told her to go ahead that she should not be angry with her. Noel took the plate and left. Jinto and Risch discussed the island’s layout.

Noel heads for Lafiel’s room she knocks on the door. “No need to knock Jinto come in.” Noel opened the door. “It’s not Jinto. Lafiel.” Lafiel was sitting on her bed looking out the window to the clear star filled night. “Noel did you know that stars twinkle when view from a planet the has an atmosphere?” Noel came in she sat next to Lafiel. “Where do to want this?” Lafiel took the plate from her and sat it on the bed. She pointed out the window. “See the stars twinkle.” Noel watched the stars dim, glow and twinkle. “The first time I was on a planet I did not know this fact. I thought I was going blind had it not been for Jinto.”

She stops. Noel observes a tear trickle down her cheek. “He had a valid point and observation. But he did not need to voice it. We all knew what he was saying was correct. So why did he have to say it?” Lafiel turns towards Noel. Both of her eyes were streaked with tears. “Then I had to hand him his head in front of you two. You know, later on, for the first time in a long time he turned and walked away from me he spoke to the wind his back towards me. He’s only done that one time before and you were there. Do you remember?”

Ekuryua searched her memories and found reference to what Lafiel was talking about. It was right before Jinto departed for Lobnas II. He had embarrassed her in front of the crew by asking her if she wanted a present from the planet. She had called him a fool and he spoke to the wind as he left the bridge. “I remember Lafiel. I was pretty hard on you that trip as well.”

Lafiel continues to look out the window. “You were right and wrong. To feel I was abandoning him was one thing. To express it the way you did was wrong. Although I had dismissed him from my mind as well, the ships and the refugees were more important. Had I sacrificed them to save Jinto, he would have never forgiven me.” She looks back to Noel. “Do you know how close I came to losing him? Well do you?” Noel shook her head. “Hours! He was hours from death. When we found him he was so weak and frail and what did he do? He still spoke his mind and joked with me. So close to death and he did that. Now he’s spoken his mind again and I forgot and angered him. That’s why you’re here is it not? He’s mad at me and sent you with the food.”

Lafiel had just shown Noel her most private side. A side that only Jinto had seen before. Realizing the amount of trust and faith they both have placed in her, she spoke from the heart. “Sorry but your are wrong Lafiel. He sent me to you because he figured you were still angry with him. Seems you two are still learning to listen to each other. Am I right?” Lafiel looks at her in disbelief. “Where do you get off making a statement like that to me?” She stopped. Her expression softened. “You’re right I still do not listen very well. He’s not angry with me?” Noel smiles. “Concerned, but not angry. I have to admit that was a typical Ablïarsec outburst. Seems members of the royal family are easy to read.” She rethought her words. “That’s not true. You and Ramaj can be very UN-Ablïarsec at times. Now I know where you got your temper from.”

Lafiel smiles. “Actually I got a lot of it from my ‘she paused’ Mother. You know who she was?” Noel nods her head. Lafiel took the plate from the bed and sat it in her lap. She noticed that Jinto had made her snap beans, and proceeded to tell Ekuryua about her mother as she ate. She finished the food and her explanation. Noel looks at her. “My mother knew your mother. Strange thing she never mentioned her being so stubborn to me.” Lafiel picks up the dish. She and Noel returned it to the kitchen. Noel met Risch and they took a moonlight walk. Jinto and Lafiel sat at the kitchen table and had a very long talk. There were less than three days before the candidates arrived and walking in on the middle of a fight between the instructors was not part of their training course.

Risch and Noel stood at the cliff that over looked the lake. The moon was reflecting off the still water. A very slight breeze blew from the water. Noel pointed to the stars in the sky. Risch stared and started rubbing his eyes blinking furiously. Noel just laughed. She explained to him about twinkling stars. He looks at her with a bit of anger. “Don’t be angry Risch. You are in very special company. Seems an Ablïarsec Princess experienced the same thing at one time. You reacted much better to the facts than she did. Have you communicated with the ship today?” He shook his head. “Guess we’d better check in and make sure space is still there. She activated her creunoc the conversation with the ship was routine. Her message to Ramaj had been dispatched and Admiral Kenesh had acknowledged its receipt.

She faces Risch. “We will stay here till the candidates transport arrives. We will bring them to the planet then return to the ship. I need to do some planning for the trip we will be taking once the training class is done. We will pick up the candidates, Jinto and Lafiel. Deliver the candidates to the transport. Then take Jinto and Lafiel to the ship and depart for Vorash. I’ll give you the rest of the plan once we are under way. Risch took her hand. “So what do you want to do tonight?” She squeezed his hand. “We are going to sleep in the shuttle tonight. Those two need to discuss a lot of things and it would be better if we were else where.” She thought for a moment. “I’ve never slept in a vessel on the water before. They say the natural rocking motion puts one to sleep instantly. Want to give it a try?” Risch gently pulled her towards the shuttle. She followed him like a person who was heading for a great adventure.

As they passed the shelter, they noticed the lights in the kitchen still shown. “Noel are they going to be Okay? I really like them. I’d really hate to see anything bad happen to them.” She puts a finger across his lips. “They will be fine. You should put that much effort towards us and our well being.” He stops and looks at her. “You really want to start something long term and serious don’t you?” She smiles. “What about the crew? How do we handle them? We can’t spend our lives down here. We do have responsibilities.” She moved her finger back to his lips. “Looks like we got a few things to discuss as well. It should be an interesting couple of days, don’t you think?” They arrived at the shuttle took a final look at the sky and went inside.

“Have you seen Kenesh?” The guard pointed Ramaj down the hall to the conference room. Floating on the tabletop was Kenesh. This time her arms were moving and a myriad of displays were opened before her. Pulling a chair away from the table Ramaj sat down.” Find something interesting?” Kenesh turned to her side. She pushed a display between herself and Ramaj. “This is the data that Count Hyde and Chief engineer Risch came up with. It pretty well matches Major Kahyuul interpretations of what he saw at the battle. We have a way to destroy the shield the Rebels are using.” She pushed the display aside. Her face held great concern.

“I’m worried about the commander of our attack fleet. I believe she has over extended herself. There were some errors in her last battle that should have been avoidable. She sacrificed ships that I can not find a valid reason to explain their loss. There is something else that bothers me greatly. There is a ten-minute gap in her logs in fact most of the fleet suffers the same gap. The engineers have blamed it on the massive explosion of the collapsing shield. I don’t buy it. Thirty-four ships in the same area suffer the same loss of data to the second. Something’s wrong, very wrong and until I know what it is. I can’t in good conscience give her this information and orders to capture the Rebel fleet.”

Ramaj leans back in her chair, she stares at the ceiling. “Are you suggesting we relieve Admiral Nastoyia of her command? Replace her? Bring her to the Capital? And confine her for losing ships without reason?” Kenesh looks at Ramaj “No Your Excellency. That would require evidence that I do not posses to relieve her of command. I wish to hold the current information till I can be convinced that she is capable of mounting this attack with a broad degree of success. We have lost too much in this sector to have caution thrown to the solar winds. There is no large battle fleet able to back her up if she fails and the Rebels take the advantage they could be at the Capital in six days with only a hand full of ship standing between them and us.”

Ramaj leans forward. “Show me the fleet placement.” Kenesh reaches over her head. She pulled a display to her mid thigh position the display it showed all current fleet activity. The large battle groups were in the outer ring closing Sords and mopping up resistance. The training fleets were in the middle rings and the inner ring was fairly empty with the exception of one fleet. Ramaj pointed to that fleet. The Id tag came up. Admiral Bebaus, a fleet that consisted of left over groups not very well organized but a large number of different types of ship’s a rag tag fleet with a very eccentric commander.

Kenesh shrieked. “No not him. We’ve depended on him and he’s let us down. I’d rather call the training fleet back first.” Ramaj cut in. “Call his fleet back and I will take command of it.” Kenesh glares at her. “That’s not possible. We have a very fragile collation formed. If anything was to happen to you. The royal family would fall to pieces and with it the Empire.” Ramaj smiles. “If the Rebels get to the Capital. There won’t be an Empire to worry about. I’m not saying we do this. But we do have an option open to us.”

Ramaj mused. “I’ve got it. We can put Debeusec in charge. He will be back in ten days. Nastoyia won’t be ready to mount an attack till then and we are still unsure of the location of the Rebels base. Yes that should work out nicely and it gives you ten days to resolve your apprehensions about Nastoyia.” Kenesh taps the displays off. She then restored gravity to the table. Sitting on the edge she stares into Ramaj’s eyes. A smile came over her. “I always wondered how you became Empress. Always the diplomat I see. Okay. I’ll get to the bottom of Admiral Nastoyia’s missing data and either be content to have her lead the attack fleet or find a replacement for her. One way or the other I have at least ten days to find the answers then decide.” They left the conference room and went their separate ways. Ramaj headed to the Operations building and Kenesh headed for the Medical center. The Capital seemed very tense. It was waiting for an uncertain future something the Abh had not had to think about for over nine hundred years. Change comes with its surprises and cost.

Continues in the next post

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."

Diaho
Site Administrator

Re: 10_School Days

Post by Diaho »

“Teal nom with lope.” Jinto slid the drink in front of Lafiel. He sat down across the table from her, a cup of tea in his hand. “The Abh have strange rules of conduct. I guess it’s to be expected. The dinner rules are overwhelming. So I can’t verbally question situations that I’m not directly involved with?” Lafiel raised an eyebrow. “In public Jinto. When it’s just you and I. Then you can say anything on your mind. It was that Noel and Risch were standing there and I saw the look of discomfort on their faces.”

Jinto frowns. “They. Like you, are my friends, I was taught that expressing ideas in front of my friends was a way to get their comments and criticism if they wished. I now see that the Empire does not like to have certain subjects discussed in public. However Lafiel we weren’t I public we were in our home.” Jinto stops and tilts his head from side to side. “Lafiel you were able to discuss everything with your father. He was able to teach you how your society operated. After all of these years I still don’t know it all. Everybody was too busy or unacquainted with Abh culture to formally train me. So I’ve used balances of what I’ve learned and until recently it has served me well. I don’t plan on changing the way I analyze situations. But to keep the peace I will try to remember what we have spoken about.”

Lafiel took another drink and spoke. “Keep the peace? No Jinto. I believe I was at fault as well. We are about to train a new generation of ambassadors give them the latitude to operate in any circumstances yet. I’m still a very arrogant Abh. After spending most of the night explaining to you the proper way to question the things you see. I realize that it goes against the training curriculum. The very arrogance that turned the other half of humanity against the Empire I just spouted out to you and you sat there and took it all in. Then, gave in to me to keep the peace!” She finished her drink. She sat the glass down hard and looked at a perfectly calm Jinto. “You Bastard! You had me admit I was wrong without starting a fight. You never raised your voice or objected. You let me state my case. Then realize how silly it all was and sat there and smiled. You just use me as an example that the training course will work.”

She slid her chair back front the table. Jinto watched for the blow to come. Lafiel stood up she motioned Jinto to stand as well. Which he did hesitantly. She leaned across the table and looked him in the eye. “You should be glad the laser pistols are locked up and I’m too tired to beat.” She stops. “I’m still being an arrogant Abh Princess?” Jinto nods. She kisses him on the cheek. “I’ve got two days to get myself together or we are going to be sending a very mixed message to the candidates.” Jinto looks at her. “Maybe yes. Maybe no. I want you to be you. Don’t become like me to make me happy. But understand that there is a middle ground between the Empire’s thoughts and the thoughts of the surface worlds. That’s what we need to teach. That the Empires still wishes to control space, which can be done without turning the surface worlds against us.”

Lafiel took it in she smiles at Jinto. “Next time I see my father. I need to ask him something.” Jinto tilts his head. “I need to ask him why Abh’s don’t pair off like landers do. I wonder if he and Plakia ever discussed that subject. Of course, he might not answer me. He’s probably at the Capital chasing women. Then he would say something about it being the way of the Abh and not to concern myself about it.” Dawn was entering the window she sat down and yawned. “Jinto I’m ready for bed.” Jinto agreed. Lafiel added. “Alone for now Jinto. Okay?” Jinto agreed. He picked up the glasses put them in the sink and went to his room. Exhausted he was asleep in no time. Sometime later on a body ended up next to his. The scent of the person next to him confirmed he need not worry about who climbed into bed with him. Later that day the four of them had dinner. The planning was complete and the arrangements were made for the arrival of the candidates. Thirty-six hours remained before they arrived. They were as ready as they were going to be.

“Noel they will be here in five hours. You need to prepare to launch soon.” Lafiel was waiting for her creunoc to respond. Moments later a very winded Ekuryua answered. “Sorry you highness I was in a position where I could not answer your call. We will launch within thirty minutes. We can still make the rendezvous.” Lafiel grins. Then she spoke to the open channel. “What position was that? Where your creunoc was not handy?” Silence was followed by male laughter. “Never you mind Your Highness. I’ll call when we are ready to land. Ekuryua out!” The channel closed and Lafiel went to find Jinto to inform him of the shuttles departure. She found Jinto and related the conversation to him. All he did was raise an eyebrow and smile. “See what you started Lafiel. You just had to show off in front of them. I told you it was catching.” She blushed. “May be I’ve started something and maybe it started itself. I guess we will ask her when she gets back.”

The shuttle lifted off for the rendezvous. Once out of the gravitational pull of the planet, Ekuryua contacted her ship then the transport. She set the course stood and she turned to Risch. “I ought to bust you to recruit for what you did.” Risch looked confused. “What do you mean Captain?” She got very red. “Hiding my creunoc. Not answering the Princess transmission. Knowing very well I was in the bathroom and then that laugh.” Risch looks at her. “We left her guessing didn’t we Captain?” Ekuryua looks at him. “I’d like to seen the look on their faces it had to be priceless. Well done Chief Engineer.” She kissed him and took her seat.

The transport became bigger in her field of view. Docking posed no problems. When the dock was pressurized Ekuryua opened the hatch, to the surprise of her life. “Your Excellency what brings you here?” Debeusec looks at her. “Oh your Captain Ekuryua. You were on the Basroil with my daughter. Captain. My daughter is not to know I’m here till I set foot on the planet. This is a direct order.” He proceeded to a seat near the front. Then the rest of the candidates boarded the shuttle. Ekuryua closed the hatch and headed for the bridge. Risch was still seated on the bridge. The pressure door behind him opened and a very disturbed Ekuryua enter the bridge. “This is not good.” is all she would say. She powered up the shuttle data links and connected her headband. Once the system checks were complete she requested an immediate departure.

"Ku Rin Apu Asu Tangu Kipu!" Jinto was down the hall from Lafiel’s room. Those familiar words echoed throughout the living quarters. Walking to the door he saw a Lafiel half dressed staring in the mirror. “What’s wrong Lafiel?” He asked from the doorway. Not turning to answer Lafiel spoke. “The ambassadors outfit does not fit. I’ve filled out too much. I can’t get into it no matter how hard I try. They will be here soon and I shall not meet them in shorts and a tank top.”

Jinto looks around the room most of Lafiel’s fancy clothes lay strewn about. It seems she had been trying for some time to find something to wear. He looks around and spots a possible combination for her to wear. Black dress slacks and a pale blue tunic top. He walks behind her and holds the clothes up to her. “These slacks fit you and with this top you will look fine.”

A frown fills the mirror. “You will be dressed up and I won’t. It’s not fair.” Jinto looks at her. “I can dress to a level to match yours. We need not look like a royal couple. We are teachers now. Let’s dress for comfort. It will be fine they are just candidates, it’s not like we were greeting other representatives from the Empire or another planetary system.” Lafiel nods her head. Jinto picked up and put her clothes away, as she dressed. He went to his room and dressed accordingly. They proceeded to the dock to await Ekuryua’s arrival.

The docking bay depressurized and the shuttle departed in a hurry. Ekuryua looked at a very confused Risch. “Once we are clear of the interference, send a message to the planet that we will be dock side in thirty minuets.” Risch nods. Data flowed through her brain. Her hand and fingers delivered the course corrections to the ship. Still one thing over rode all that she was thinking. “What is he doing here?” She slipped into a gentle deceleration and was skimming the atmosphere slowing for her re-entry. Risch finally spoke to her. ”Captain what has you so upset?” She spoke without looking at him. “Lafiel’s father is in the cabin. He said this was a surprise visit. Are they going to be surprised! You can not say a word to him or them. I wonder if we can stay for dinner?” Her face went blank. The time for re-entry was upon them. Re-entry and landing went smoothly. They were approaching the dock she could see Jinto and Lafiel waiting for them.

Securing the dock mooring locks. Jinto proceeds to open the hatch. The sunlight shown on his robe its Imperial crest shining brightly, Jinto stood back in awe. “Father what are you doing here?” Lafiel showed no outward signs, inwardly, she was in a complete panic. Debeusec walks on to the dock towards Lafiel. Ekuryua took the candidates off to the side and Risch stood next to Jinto. Debeusec looks at his daughter and raised an eyebrow. “Stand up straight Lafiel.” She obeyed his request he walked towards her and stopped just inches from her. She was almost looking him in the face. Another couple of inches and she would be as tall as he was. He steps back and took a good look at her. “I believe Plakia would have been very happy with this development. Lafiel you look wonderful. How do you feel?” He steps towards her takes her hands in his then gave her a big hug. He whispers in her ear. “This is an unofficial visit. I came to see how you were. Just ignore me. I’m here to observe and visit.” She relaxed. “I’m fine father.” She steps back. “Welcome to all of you. Captain Ekuryua will show you to your quarters. Count Hyde and I will join you shortly.” Ekuryua took the group to their quarters. Risch brought up the rear. He kept looking back checking on the three of them. Jinto, Lafiel and Debeusec followed shortly thereafter. They did a lot of talking as they walked.

The candidates had received their formal training at the Capital. This was a difference course. Lafiel would instruct them in the aspects of the new Abh view towards the land worlds. Jinto would explain the benefits of arriving at the surface world with an open mind and the differences between Abh and Lander thinking. Using the planet as a natural distraction was part of the training as well. It is very easy to contain ones self on a platform or ship in space. However these Ambassadors will be traveling to the surface worlds to discuss, on the Terran home ground, the peace and co-operation treaties.

They were split into two groups after they were settled. The class ran five days. The first two days they would be in the smaller groups the third day as one large group discussing the first two days of class. Then a question and answer session on the forth day followed by presentation of their Ambassadors robes and the certificates, a going away dinner then the shuttle back to the transport and off to a future of peace making.

Ekuryua and Risch had just offloaded the last pallet of supplies. She looks at Risch. “I’d really like to stay. I think they could use our help. They’ve got so many to feed and there is only the two of them.” Risch raised an eyebrow. “This place is completely computerized. It can take care of itself. Your just being nosey Captain.” Ekuryua’s face twitched. ”You’re taking some liberties with your comments Chief Engineer. I’ve got half a mind.” She stops, looks at him and smiles. “Think you can read me like a book? Think you know what’s coming next? Eh?” He smiles and turns his back toward her. She took the advantage. One good push and he was in the lake. She stood on the edge of the dock he had fallen pretty hard and had failed to readily appear. Suddenly he rose from the lake grabbed her jacket and hauled her in as well. She screamed as she went in.

Jinto, Jinto!! Did you hear that?” Jinto was trying to contact them on his creunoc. “Their not answering Lafiel and I can’t find Risch’s life signs. They were unloading the pallets.” Jinto stops. “No!” He took off running towards the dock. Lafiel two steps behind him. The dock was crowded with the pallets. He saw the end of the dock was wet, as he and Lafiel approached the end they heard laughing. Risch and Ekuryua were about three meters off the end of the dock dog paddling and laughing.

Jinto and Lafiel cast enough of a shadow on the water that their presence was noticed. Ekuryua and Risch turned to see a very angry Jinto and Lafiel facing them. Jinto addressed them. “Just what do you think you two are doing? We hear a scream. Can’t find Risch’s life signs. Get here to find you playing in the lake. I’d like and explanation. Now! If you don’t mind.”

Ekuryua and Risch climbed up the ladder at the end of the dock. They stood in front of Jinto and Lafiel dripping and cold. Jinto had his arms folded across his chest and Lafiel stood with her hands on her hips. “We are waiting for an explanation.” Risch started. “You pushed me in the lake Captain”. “Well you had it coming to you Risch.” “Why did I have it coming? You were the one commenting that I was reading you like a book.” “What you did while I was in the bathroom was inexcusable.” “Your failure to take your creunoc to the bathroom does not constitute an a emergency on my part.” “You hid my creunoc. You should have answered the call. You did not have to laugh and the impression you left.” “So you’re upset that I embarrassed you and you pitched me in the lake for it.” “That and a lot of other things you’ve done.” “So ya you want to go back and finish what got started Captain?”

Lafiel had heard all she needed to hear. ”That’s it! I’ve heard enough!” They stopped arguing and turned towards Lafiel. She stood with her hands still on her hips. But her face was blood red. Her eyes narrowed. Her lips were trembling. Jinto stood silently observing. “You two have very bad timing. I’m happy you can express your differences. But this is not the time or the place to do it. This is a quite island. Sound travels very well. The candidates have probably heard all of this.” Her face softened slightly she spoke softly. “My father has heard this as well.”

She straightens her tunic. “This ends now. But it’s not over. While the candidates are here you will remember that you are members of the Star Forces and act accordingly. We have students to attend to. When the time is right we will finish this discussion. You two get some dry clothes on and clean up the dock.” She turns to Jinto. “Did I miss anything?” Jinto shook his head. “Then we are going back. Report to Jinto when you’re done.” She smiles. “Try to behave yourself.” She turns and walks off the dock. Jinto follows her.

Before they entered the path back Lafiel looks at Jinto. “That sounded familiar, it reminds me of our first months on this island. If they had waited till everyone was gone.” Lafiel stops she turns toward him. “If we had to wait to express our feelings. I would have exploded. I can’t blame them their timing was just really bad.” Jinto took her hands. “Good timing, bad timing. It really does not matter. What matters is they got it out in the open and now they can discuss it peacefully and constructively. I hope. That’s what negations are like Lafiel. Sometimes the best things happen at the worst times.” He looks at her. “I’m very proud of you. What you just did was excellent. You let them get the main point of the argument out in the open. Then you intervened got them to settle down and realize that they had responsibilities. You also reminded them that it was far from being over. You did good.” They started slowly back to the shelter.

From his position part way down the path Debeusec had heard most of the conversation. Satisfied that Lafiel had actually learned how to negotiate without her temper getting in the way he returned to the shelter. Looking around he thought how little the island had changed since he was last there and how proud Plakia would have been of Lafiel. A small smile came across his face. He was out of sight when Jinto and Lafiel arrived at the shelter.

“I though an Ablïarsec angered would be more formidable. She was scary but not the terrifying creature I’ve heard about.” Ekuryua stops and looks at him. “We got off lucky. I’ve seen her explode. It’s not a pretty sight. I have to admit that Jinto should get a medal for tempering the Princess. I don’t want to think what he’s gone through to get her to this point.” They finished putting the supplies away. Aboard the shuttle they changed and had a moment to reflect. Ekuryua spoke to Risch. “She was right. We need to act more responsibly. We aren’t cadets anymore.” He had finished putting on his boots he walks over to her, grabs her jacket and helps her on with it.

“We are still kids though. We still are looking for the things in life that make it meaningful. I guess we need to think things out.” She straightened her jacket tossed hair put her headband on and said. “Guess we should go tell Jinto we are done and see how far in the dog house we really are.” She put her arm around his middle. They left the shuttle and headed up the dock like two people that just found the right person after a long search. Arriving at the shelter they found the classes were underway the only person there was Debeusec. He was reading a large book of ancient terran history.

Ekuryua noticed the title and quizzed Debeusec. His answers were brief and to the point. The book came from Plakia, where she got it he did not know. It was written as the Abh were first making contact with the surface worlds and it portrayed the Abh in a very bad light. His plans were to leave it with Lafiel before he left to go back to the Capital.

He shut the book and looked Ekuryua in the eyes. “You’re quite lucky. Had this been a few years ago, Lafiel would have ripped you to shreds for such actions. I see you two have become her friends. Would you mind from time to time dropping me a note on how they are doing? Lafiel has never been one to write the casual letter home. You’d be doing me a great service which would have certain rewards for you.”

Ekuryua steps back, she took a long look at Debeusec. “If you asking me to spy on them. The answer is no. If you’re just interested in their general heath and well being I could do that. But I really wish you would ask them first. You might be surprised on how much they will be willing to share.” Debeusec looks at her. She had just called his hand. A mere Captain. He was impressed with her candid expressions as well. “Fine I will ask them. However, if they refuse would you still provide some information?” Ekuryua frowns. “Depends on what they say. I’m their protector and transportation. We need to be able to trust each other. I won’t compromise that trust.” She turns and walks away. Risch follows. Debeusec watches as they leave the room. “Well Spoor said she was a little fireball. She was correct in her observation.” He sat wondering how the Admiral was doing. To lose her ability to command, the Star Forces would have a large gap in their command structure.

The first three days went off without a hitch almost. Swapping the groups on the first two days was a complete success. The third day, the group conversation went well till at the end one representative asked about going to a hostile planet. Because it was getting late Lafiel put off the answer till the next morning.

The next morning they group had assembled Jinto brought them to order and Lafiel entered the room. She was wearing a dark green tunic top, slacks, boots and a Class-three laser pistol strapped to her hip. A gasp came from the assembled group. “You wanted to know how to handle a hostile planet? You go in armed. You take an armed guard with you and at the first sign of trouble you blast your way out of there.”

Jinto just stood there. She had not surprised him. “The odds of you being purposely sent to a hostile planet would be remote. There is always the chance that the planet might erupt into a civil war or some other disturbance.” She looks at Jinto “Once I sent a representative to a planet that was categorized wrong. It erupted into a civil war. The representative was captured and almost killed. That was a hopeless situation.” She paused. “Before you are sent to a planet. We will thoroughly ascertain the political climate before you are sent in. Remember this. You are the final authority. If you get somewhere and it does not feel right or it looks different than described stay in orbit. Call for assistance.” She looks to the group. “Any Questions?”

Silence followed her statement. Everyone sat there looking at Lafiel wearing and condoning the use of a laser pistol. Jinto steps to the front of the group. “Why don’t we dismiss the class for now and reassemble back here in two hours at that time you will be awarded your robes and certificates.” The class left the room.

Jinto turned to Lafiel. “Well now I know how you really feel about sending them into danger. Is this a direct result of almost losing me or are there other feelings you have on the subject?” Lafiel reached for the laser pistol. Jinto stopped her. “I’ve upset you enough. You’re ready to vaporize me?” Lafiel reaches for and draws the pistol from its holster. She hands it to Jinto. He recognized it immediately. ”This is the pistol from the Gosroth the one you gave me. Why this one? Why not your duty pistol?” She smiles at him. “Jinto you’re my strength. I could not have come out here and say what I said without you beside me. Since I was not sure where you were going to be, or what your reaction would have been. I brought something as important to me as you are. Just incase you weren’t here. Do you understand?” Jinto smiles. “Yes I do. In a way you and I are very much alike. Desperately not wanting to lose one and another. We hold on to the memories to keep us going. You and I need to make more new memories. So we can lie some of the more disturbing ones to rest. Don’t you agree?” Lafiel faces him. “Then your ready to travel when we are done? No complaints no regrets?”

Jinto smiles he takes Lafiel in his arms. “It’s about time Ku knew you existed and how I feel about you. He needs to realize that the United Mankind propaganda was rubbish. That the Abh are a caring loving race and not a bunch of heartless machines. I’m ready to go. Are you up to this challenge?” Lafiel kisses him. She hardly had to reach for him. She kind of liked being taller. “I’m ready. Let’s go convert Ku to be more understanding of the Abh and do the rest of our visiting as well.” Jinto put his arm around her and they left the room. From the shadows Debeusec smiles and slips out the side door.

Two hours pass quickly. The ceremony lasted another hour. Then the Ambassadors went to pack and prepare for dinner. Debeusec cornered Lafiel as she was leaving the addition. “I’d like to speak with you before I go. Out at the cliff would be fine with me.” She follows her father out to the cliff. Ekuryua was in the flower garden. She spied them heading for the cliff. She followed, keeping a discrete distance.

At the cliff Debeusec stood and admired the view. “Do you know how many times Plakia and I took in this view. This place has a special memory for me this is where Plakia told me she was pregnant with you. She was very happy that day.” He looks off over the lake. But now she’s gone and I’ve grieved long enough. It’s time to find someone to keep me company. Is that Okay with you Lafiel?”

Lafiel took a step back. “Are you asking my permission?” He got a stern look about him that soon softened. “No not your permission, your understanding. I did not want you to hate me because you though I was being unfaithful to Plakia’s memory. I’ve watched you the time I’ve been here. You and Jinto have become very close, closer than Plakia and I could have ever been. I’m a bit jealous. I’ve always wanted you to be happy and I want to apologize for ruining your childhood.” He looks back over the lake. “Can you forgive me Lafiel?”

“Forgive you? Father there is nothing to be forgiven for. I do thank you for making me a strong person. As for the childhood lost. I can share it with the children Jinto and I will have. Which brings me to a question. Why don’t Abh’s pair off and raise children like landers do?” Debeusec faces her. “The official reason is it restricts our freedom of expression. Actually the system of marriage has a downside, it is called divorce. It creates chaos and discord among the landers. It was filtered out centuries ago. An undesirable trait.”

Lafiel shook her head. “I was not speaking of marriage. I was speaking of two people raising children together. You can have children with out marriage. Abh’s do it all the time. But it would have been nice to have two parents. I could have gotten to know Plakia better. She would have been a part of my childhood.” Debeusec looks at Lafiel his eyes grew cold then returned too normal. “Plakia and I had many disagreements about your upbringing. But by law you were my daughter and I raised you as I saw fit. Although it was wrong, if you and Jinto try to raise children, you two will find yourselves at odds, be in discord and ultimately be very unhappy. It will also affect the child. Do you want that for your children?”

His words hurt more than any physical injury could. She realized that he would never understand or accept how she and Jinto wished to live. That was fine she tried to explain her case and he refused to listen. So she will do as she always has. She will love him and respect him but follow her heart. So far it has not let her down. “I guess we are done. I’ll give thought to what you have said father.” She stopped there. Debeusec realized his words had not hit their mark. She was going to do as she wished. He took her in his arms. “I’ll accept what you wish. But I will not support you in this. It goes against everything you and I have been taught. But if you really feel you will be happy this way. I won’t interfere. Now if I show up with another women next time you won’t put up a fuss will you?”

Lafiel faces him. “I won’t as long as she is forty years older than I am, minimum. You show up here with a thirty year old and I’ll have your hide, father.” Debeusec nods. “That’s acceptable to me. Now try not to have more children than you can care for.” She smiles. “Agreed father.” Her creunoc went active it was Jinto calling her to dinner. “Well father, dinners ready care to join us?” One more look across the lake and they were off to dinner with Ekuryua a safe distance behind.

Jinto had gone all out for dinner it was a feast. Everybody enjoyed the festivities. Once dinner was complete Jinto, Lafiel, Ekuryua and Risch cleaned up the tables. Jinto and Risch took care of the trash and Lafiel and Ekuryua took care of the dishes. On their way to the dishwasher Lafiel spoke. ”So how much did you hear Noel? Father was not wearing his alpha, I was. I sensed you the minute you left the flower garden. Would you like me to describe exactly where you were standing?” She shook her head. “No. I’ll admit I was listening in. I was not sure why he was here and you are my responsibility.” Lafiel slid the plates into the washer. “So you were looking out for me. Now tell me what you heard. I’m losing patience. Do you really want to get me mad?” Noel spouted out about eighty percent of the conversation. She had heard the important parts. Lafiel looks at her. “I need to know now. Are you spying on us for someone or is this genuine curiosity? Lying is not an option.”

She told Lafiel she was not spying. But that she had a conversation with her father and he did not bring up the topic of which they spoke of, she was hoping he would. Lafiel looks at Noel. “That topic would be?” Debeusec’s voice answered from behind her. ”I asked her to send me information on how you were doing. She refused me. She said I should ask you if you would write me more often and keep me informed of your progress. So Lafiel I’m asking you. Can you find the time to keep in touch with me?” She said she could do that. Debeusec looks towards Ekuryua. “Captain could you excuse us. I like to speak to my daughter. Alone.” Ekuryua leaves the room.

“Lafiel I want you to have this book. Your mother though highly of it. It is old. But the opinions expressed in it still survive today. It will give you insight on the planets and people you will visit. It may even save your life. Read it well and share it with Jinto. It may open his eyes as well. I’m off to bed. The trip back to the Capital will be long I want to be rested before I leave. Seeing you and talking with you has made it all worth the effort. I will speak with Jinto in the morning.”

He kisses her on the forehead. “Sleep well my precious daughter. I do love you, always.” Lafiel looks at him. She realized he had just called Plakia her mother for the first time. She hugged him mightily. “I will father and for you and mother. I will read this book without fail.” Lafiel watches as he leaves the room. She starts the dishwashers and goes looking for Jinto.

In the meantime Ekuryua and Risch have found one and another they are standing in the flower garden. Ekuryua has explained the recent events that have occurred. Risch is taking it in with cautious optimism. “You followed her and observed this conversation then she cornered you on it. Her father bailed you out and sent you away. I don’t see any reason to be overly concerned. You were following orders. To protect at all cost, was not that the last line?” She corrected him. “The last line is: ‘You, your ship and your crew are expendable.’ I don’t ever want to be in a position to make that choice. I’ve had one ship shot out from under me that was one too many.” She turns and buries her head in his chest. “Just hold me Risch make me feel safe, at the moment I feel very vulnerable.” He proceeds to carry out her wishes.

Jinto stands at the edge of the cliff. The moon is reflecting off the lake. He uses this moment to reflect as well. The classes had gone better than he had figured they would. There had been no major disagreements between he and Lafiel. Debeusec had pretty well stayed in the shadows and not interfered as he thought he would. All in all it was a good first time out. Then he remembered the incident at the dock. “Okay so it was not perfect I’m still happy with the results.” Standing there was getting lonely. He wondered where Lafiel had gotten off too. A quick check of his creunoc showed she was heading his way and would arrive shortly. So he would wait and be surprised when she arrived. On the planet they tried not to rely on technology too much. But with and island full of people their creunoc’s were getting a real work out.

Lafiel quietly walked up behind Jinto. “A penny for your thoughts?” He greeted her then looks over the lake. “I think it went well. I see no real changes to be made. I might even leave in your gun toting appearance. What were your impressions?” She stood next to him put her arm around him and gazed over the lake. “So long as father does not show up every time. Everything will be fine.” Jinto faces her. “So you two have had the chance to talk?” She held him a little tighter “Yes we have. Several times in fact. He wishes to speak with you in the morning before he leaves. He’s actually in a very good mood. On our way to Vorash, we can discuss what he’s said to both of us. For now Jinto let’s just take in the view relax and go to bed soon. It’s going to be a big day tomorrow our adventure will begin. We will have memories to last a lifetime. I’m sure of it.” They stood for a while longer then returned to the shelter.

As they approached, Ekuryua and Risch were sitting at the picnic table. Lafiel walked up to them. “Change of plans Ekuryua. Take the ambassadors back to the transport then come back here and get us. I know it means you making a second trip but we need to straighten a few things up before we leave here. Ekuryua looks at her. “That’s fine our replacement is still twenty hours off so I can’t leave till they arrive.” Jinto looks at her. “Replacement? Could you explain that statement?” Lafiel had a confused look as well.

“When you became ambassadors and chose this planet as your headquarters. Admiral Kenesh and her staff decided that this place was now too important to leave unguarded. I am your personal guard and transport. But while we are away, another ship will stay in the system and keep a watch on the planet. They will not land on the planet if you are not here. Do you understand?” They both nod their heads. “Good we are off to bed it’s going to be a busy day. You and the Princess might want to do the same.” Noel and Risch head for the shuttle. Jinto looks at Lafiel. “Never being alone again. Can you live with that?” She looks back. “We are alone right now. There will always be someplace where we can be by ourselves. Don’t let it get to you Jinto. Accept the fact and go on. Noel was correct we should get some sleep.” Jinto looks at her. “We?” She smiles. “Yes silly. We.” They head for bed.

Jinto was up at first light. Lafiel still slept soundly. He dressed and headed for the kitchen. He found Debeusec their waiting for him. “I’ll make it simple. I’m sure you and Lafiel have not had a chance to discuss all she and I talked about so I’ll address my comments to you. Jinto I don’t know how you did it. She is a changed woman, changed for the better. I thank you. My duties at the Capital are quite tiring and from time to time I wish to visit here to relax. You two discuss it and let me know what you think about it. I’ll abide by your decision. Lastly you two are going to be traveling soon. You’ll be taking her to strange and different surface worlds. Let her learn but you must keep her safe. I did oppose this but she was insistent on going. I know you won’t let any harm come to her. She’s all you and I have. Again Jinto I thank you.” Debeusec left the room. Jinto stood there in a semi daze. He realized what was said and started to fix breakfast. It was not the conversation he had expected. It was formal. But still conciliatory he felt a bit of pride.

Breakfast served good-byes said the shuttle left the dock. Jinto’s creunoc crackled to life. “We will see you in two hours be ready.” Jinto acknowledge the transmission he turns to Lafiel. “Two hours. Plenty of time to secure the shelter and take a last dip in the lagoon. Don’t you think?” Lafiel nods. “Lagoon, Then secure Okay?” Jinto agreed.

The shuttle had just departed. The training had gone well. Twenty more ambassadors were ready to go into the field. The classes were to be at four-week intervals. But the first class had gone so well that Jinto decided to take a break he requested that the next group be dispatched in twelve weeks.

Ekuryua guided the shuttle towards the transport it had been a routine departure. Her ship was ready to depart as soon as the replacement ship arrived. She took time to speak to Risch. “You’ve seen their travel plans?’ ‘Yes I reviewed them this morning after Jinto handed them to me. We are going to be doing some traveling in the next twelve weeks. Is the ship ready to go?’ ‘Yes and since we going to the Hyde system any repairs can be made there when we refuel. Noel you worry too much.’ ‘That’s what Captains do, is worry, it’s part of the job description Okay?” Risch sat back. She was correct they were going to be carrying special passengers. He would look the ship over before they left. The docking and transfer went off flawlessly. On the way back Noel finally relaxed. “He’s gone I’m no longer responsible for him. Let that transport Captain have the worries now.” She contacted her ship and told them the transfer was complete and that they were headed to the planet. Her first officer responded that they had just made contact with the replacement ship and they were still eight hours away. She acknowledges the transmission.

Then she opened communications with the planet. “Jinto are you there?” silence fills the bridge. “Risch scan for them.’ ‘Scanning. Found them. Location. The lagoon Captain.” She smiles. “I see.” She opens a scrambled channel this time. “So you’re mudding up the water and disturbing the fish again? Eh?” The silence was momentary. “Funny Noel. Very funny. What Jinto and I do when you’re not around is still our business Okay?” “Oh I agree, next time I’ll use a scrambled channel. Just to let you know we are an hour away and the other ship is still eight hours out. Will this change your plans any?” Static follows. “Will you’ll have lunch with us and help us secure the place then.” “Whatever you say Princess. We will call you when we are near.” “No need to do that we will hear your arrival. Right now we are very busy. Till later then.” The channel closes. “Told you didn’t she?” Risch sat with a smile on his face. “Yes she did. I wish they was a way to sneak up on them to enter without making any noise.” Risch taps her on the shoulder. “There is a way. It’s a bit risky depends on how bad you want to surprise her.” Ekuryua’s response was immediate. “Show me!”

Risch brings their flight profile up on the main display. “Normally we enter here about twenty five miles from the island, the sonic boom is very loud. Now if we were to enter here about one hundred miles west the sound would be less and the mountains west of the island would deflect the balance of the noise. It might sound like distant thunder. The catch is the last thirty miles or so you would have to be ‘a no power approach’. Once on the other side of the mountains the slightest noise and we are found out. It’s very risky. The computer won’t give you a "no power" approach profile. In fact you will probably have to disconnect the computer and fly manually the last thirty miles. It’s up to you. I can give you the raw numbers. It all depends on how big of a surprise you want. Remember east of the mountains. The slightest noise and we’re exposed.”

Ekuryua looks at the display. She smiles. “Let’s do it. We will have to shield ourselves from the planetary net and we need to get there sooner.” The shuttle leaps forward. It was the scariest thing she had ever done. The last thirty miles seem to take forever. The touchdown was noiseless. They docked the shuttle and headed for the lagoon. “Are they still there?” Risch looks at his creunoc. “Still there Captain.” They quietly hurry along.

Rounding the corner to the lagoon they are met with a surprise. Lafiel stood in her robe aiming a laser pistol at them. “Now you know why I’m an Admiral and you’re still a Captain.” Jinto in his robe came up from behind. Ekuryua stood there in disbelief. “How did you?” Jinto smiles. “This Island still has a few secrets that you need not know about. I’ll give you credit you were on the island before we were aware of it. I guess we need to expand the search area to past the mountains. That’s how you did it. A no power approach through the mountains?” Ekuryua nods. Lafiel continues. “Be glad we knew you were coming. Our defense plan would have killed you both.” Lafiel’s laser was set to kill. “I suggest you do not try that again for your own safety. You ready to have lunch? I’m starving.” With that she marched off to the shelter.

Jinto looks at them. “Be glad she’s in a good mood. She would have shot you. That is the defense plan here. You should let everyone know who plans on coming here that. Like she said. Let’s go eat.” The day was not hot but sweat poured profusely from Ekuryua and Risch. They followed Jinto to the shelter. They were lucky to be alive.

He was dosing. Her voice brought him around. “Kufadis how long are you going to stay here. The ship needs...” He interrupted her. “While you sleep. I’m taking care of the ship.” He stands leans over the bed and looks her in the face. “You need not worry about the ship. Just worry about you. Once we get you on your feet and fit. Then you can worry about the ship.” She looks at him and smiles. “You really care about me don’t you Kufadis.” He nods.
She gently rises up in the bed and with her right arm pulls Kufadis towards her. She kisses him on the cheek. “I figured you’ve been the one kissing my forehead while I slept. So I’m returning the favor. Okay Chief of Staff. I’ll do it your way. I’ll be good and follow the doctor’s orders. I just want you there every step of the way. We are going to work together to make me healthy. Agreed?” He pushes her hair away from her face and gently kisses her on the lips. “Yes I will be happy to help.”

To be continued in Trick Or Treat

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."