13_The Truth Behind the Lies

Here you will find each story posted in a readable format. This is a copyrighted work and is protected by intellectual property laws recognized by most nations. In other words read and enjoy but post no where else.
Diaho
Site Administrator

13_The Truth Behind the Lies

Post by Diaho »

The truth behind the lies!

“I see you made it back. What news do you bring me?” “If all went according to plan Nastoyia’s fleet should be in revolt by now, the way to the Capital should be yours for the taking my Lord. Have you captured that annoying Princess?” “She never showed up, she has disappeared. I was hoping you might be able to shed some light on where she might be?” “She never arrived? That is very strange, unless she had an accident I’m positive she would have come to you my Lord.” “I see we can discuss this later after you get to the ship.” The Lord ended the communication. He sat staring into the vastness of space. His mind was not at peace.

“Duhiel, I don’t understand your stubbornness on this issue. She is the one I chose to be with. Now, your sister has accepted that fact why can’t you?” Debeusec’s face shows no emotion. “Father. What proof do you have that Lafiel has accepted this woman? You’ve not spoken with her since you lead her on about that woman.” “I see son so you did inform your sister who she was. I’ll guess her reaction is tied to the silence from her too?” There is still no emotion on Debeusec’s face. “Well father now that you’ve brought the subject of Lafiel up. Yes I told her. However her silence has nothing to do with you or that woman. I think it’s about time you see this.”

Duhiel transmits a data file to Debeusec. He watches as his father reads the message. Finally there is a show of emotion on Debeusec’s face. ”Father you spend too much time worrying about that woman, Lafiel and I do need you from time to time. We do exist; we have lives and problems. Which we always hoped we could discuss with you. Since you met her, she’s become your world and for the short term that might be fine. But Lafiel and I would like our father to talk with from time to time. A father that’s focused on our problems not his own pleasures.”

“Where is your sister now? How many others know of this message? Has it made its way back to your grandmother?” The face of a concerned father finally greets Duhiel. “Lafiel is safe at the Hyde fuel depot. Grandmother knows nothing of the message. Lafiel was going to take care of this by herself, she was very insistent on that. Since you knew nothing of it. I would guess father, Lafiel is keeping it a closely guarded secret. I suggest you do the same.” Debeusec’s facial expression changes again it’s a look Duhiel has seen many times before.

“Son I’ve been a fool. I got swept up in things and ignored you and your sister. When you contact her next tell her I support any decisions she makes. Duhiel one last thing my son. That woman as you describe her does have a name and I would be very happy if from now on you refer to her as, Kilo - Commander Rena Kobasch or any proper form of her name. Son, I am, who I am every once and awhile I might need a little steering back. I see neither you nor your sister is afraid to do that. Just next time son; try not to be so blunt. I am your father not some junior office who needs his ears pinned back. For now I will end this conversation I will give great thought to your words my son and I’ll keep your sister’s secret safe. Anything happens you will contact me?” Duhiel smiles, “Yes father I will contact you at the first sign of trouble. Send my regards to Commander Kobasch.” Duhiel closes the link and starts a personal message to Lafiel.

“Baroness Febdash. Do you fear me that much to send Commander Sobbash to do your dirty work? You should be glad you’re on the other side of the system. If the Lashkau could move I’d be twenty meters off your bow at this moment and we would be talking in person.” Atosuryua is planted firmly in the center seat. Her facial expression hides the sudden surge of fear that is coursing throughout her nervous system. “Grand Duchess had you restrained Her Highness and kept her from endangering the entire base. We would not be having this conversation. It’s my understanding that you issued a challenge to her and that was her response to you. I’m warning you as sector commander you decide to jeopardize the safety of the base again and I’ll… ”

Spoor explodes. “You’ll do what you third rate Baroness? Just because you’re temporally in charge of this sector you think you’re going to tell me what to do. I’m afraid, not. Trying to keep Her Highness in check, you know neither one of us can succeed at that. I strongly suggest you keep your nose out of other peoples business and concentrate on keeping your command, Baroness. Admiral Kenesh will be here soon. I’m very sure she’ll appreciate this little conversation we’ve had. She might even do some reassignments if push comes to shove, Baroness. Now have I made myself clear Atosuryua? Mind your own business, tend to your fleet and stay out of this. It is no concern of yours!”

“Perfectly clear Grand Duchess. Atosuryua out!” She snaps the link closed. “Find me Commander Sobbash have her report to my quarters.” The first officer turns towards her, ”Admiral, Commander Sobbash is not on board.” Incensed Atosuryua asks. “Where did she go?” The first office replies. “ She received orders from Admiral Kenesh. She took a shuttle and left. She entered the Sord about a half-hour ago Admiral. Her orders were marked classified. She left the moment she read them. The only reason I know that much is I stumbled upon her reading them.”

“She ordered me not to tell you until she had entered the Sord, then you and Admiral Spoor got into that conversation and when you went looking for Sobbash was the first chance I had to inform you of what she’s done. I’m sorry Admiral I should have interrupted you.” Atosuryua looks at him. “It’s fine you did the correct thing. When Sobbash returns have her come to my quarters. I’m going their now. You have the watch first officer.” Atosuryua leaves the bridge and ponders Spoor’s words. It’s a lonely walk.

“Admiral you were pretty hard on her, although she did have it coming to her.” Spoor sat back in her chair, “Did Sobbash make it to the Sord undetected? Kufadis checks. “No one has scanned the area so I would assume she left unnoticed.” Spoor smiles. “What till she finds out where Sobbash went. After the little reassignment statement I’ll bet she’ll be in a panic. Serves her right impertinent little brat. Just how did she make Admiral?” Spoors shake the thought out of her head.

Docking with the flagship she proceeds to the bridge. She notices that ships of this design were built for fighting not comfort. The air was stale and tasted of perspiration and the lighting was the bare minimum required for navigation. Entering the lift to the bridge she has to manually enter the deck number. The lack of the system sophistication showed its weaknesses. The door to the bridge opens; she approaches the commander’s chair. “My Lord. I’ve returned safely.” The commander turns in his chair. The lighting is so dim she can hardly make him out but the moment he speaks she knows for sure. “ It’s been to long. I’ve missed you. Since we last talked other issues have come up. I’ll need your advice on those as well.”

He holds a data pad in his lap she walks up to his side and starts to read it. “Sorry My Lord it’s been a while. I need a moment.” She finally understands what she is reading. “They’ve rounded up all of our agents with in the Capital, but how?” He turns to the next page. “It seems we were betrayed by our own clone.” He moves to another page. “However he did not live long enough to enjoy his victory, or give our position away. Had he done so the Abh would have been here by now? We still have the element of surprise, if your work was successful. When we go through Sord 577. Victory and the Abh capital shall be mine.” He turns off the pad. “You’ve done well. Now get some rest and change your hair color. I would not want you shot by mistake.” She bows before him. “Yes My Lord as you command.” She leaves the bridge. The Lord turns to the viewer and ponders his next move.

“Admiral.” They both turned to look. “Excuse me, Admiral Bebaus, message from Admiral Kotoponi.” Nefee turns to the main display. “Put her on.” The display flickers to life. “My dear Nefee. We know where she went; there is an ion trail from the shuttle directly leading into the Sord. I figure it was a class J shuttle. They slipped in unnoticed and did a sub light jump to the Sord. The ion signature is definitely UMK. I’ll bet she’s rejoined the Rebel fleet by now. What’s our next move?” Nefee looks around him they were not ready to fight. “Nastoyia did she know we knew the position of the Rebel base?” Nastoyia scans the log. “No. She did not know that information.”

Nefee laid his fingers to his chin. “Kotoponi deploy just at the edge of the Sord. The only ships that should be approaching are the reconnaissance fleet coming back from the Rebel base. Make sure that’s all that exits the Sord. I’m moving the balance of the fleet behind the planets in the system. If the Rebels show up you head for the inner most planets we will come in from outer most cut them off from the Sord and slice them up.” Nastoyia tapped him on the shoulder; he turns to her. “It’s still MY fleet Admiral. I think I can deploy them too. You plan is sound but can I give the orders?”

They squared off at each other. “Now children behave, you’re going to battle the Rebels not each other. I’ll move to the Sord and you two work out the details. How long till the Reconnaissance fleet arrives?” Nefee answers, “Twenty hours. They were told to announce their arrival or face being shot at. I hope they remember to.” Kotoponi smiles, “I don’t take pot shots at our own vessels like some commanders I know do.” She closes the channel and her fleet deploys. Nastoyia looks at Nefee. “Just what did she mean by that statement?” Nefee smiles. “Don’t ever surprise me Admiral. It usually proves deadly.” Nastoyia takes a step back. She decides to work things out with Nefee. They work together on a deployment plan.

“Admiral Kotoponi. What are your orders? We are at the Sord.” Kotoponi looks about she gazes deep into the system. “Fan out in an Delta formation. Scan as deep into the Sord as possible. On the first contact F.O.F. them. If there is no answer alert the fleet immediately! Do not wait for information to be reviewed by the command ship. A false alarm is better than no alarm at all.” The fleet spreads out and starts systematically searching the Sord.

“Ramaj, we’ve captured all of the people on the list. We caught them by surprise. We’ve gained a wealth of information too. Although it’s going to take some time to sort it all out. Some of its in a code I’ve never seen before.” Ramaj sat in the command center. She misses Kenesh and wishes that she would return but she also knows that the information Kenesh is gathering is as important as the information she has before her. “Fine divide into teams, sort through it as best you can. Anything that looks important have the intelligence groups look at it. Report to me when you have finished.”

She closes the link kicks back in her chair and reflects. “It’s too quiet. Where are you leader of the Rebels? You must know by now we know where you are. Are you going to wait for the slaughter? Or do you have other plans?” She gets up from the desk pushes the chair back under it and heads for the recorders office. A cheerful young lady greets her as she enters the room. “What can I do for you?” Ramaj asks for the transcripts that Dusanyu’s clone made before his death.

“Are you looking for something in particular, a certain subject, I ask because there are hours upon hours of recordings, I do have them cataloged if you would like to search through them that way.” She shows Ramaj to a small table she turns on the display and ties in the database. “There you go any questions just ask.” Ramaj starts through the index a group of recording catches her eye. “These five hours of recordings labeled Miscellaneous, just what are they.” She looks at the display. “They are random conversation that did not deal with any particular subject, they are almost ramblings.” Ramaj turns towards her, “Get them for me I’d like to listen to them as soon as possible. When you are able would you bring them by my office?” The clerk nods, Ramaj leaves the room. She goes by the medical wing and gets Doctor Sasoum they return to Ramaj’s office.

“I understand why you brought me here but what do you think we will learn from his ranting?” Ramaj looks at her “There is a piece of the puzzle missing I believe he’s told us something that we have missed. I’ve got to look again I’m being driven to.” Dr Sasoum understands. “Fine I’ll judge his mental state for you but I’ll not interpret anything and don’t be surprise if I suddenly leave the room.” Ramaj understood her request they waited for the recordings to arrive.

“Ah.” That was the only sound she could make. The confusion was still raging with in her. “This should a simple task, but how do I answer, what am I getting myself into. A terran woman would know she would have been trained from birth to expect this. I’m not terran. But I love him. I don’t want to lose him. If I don’t answer do I lose him? I wish I had read more on the subject I don’t know the custom I..”

His hands gently touch her face. He’s watched her expressions run the gambit over the past few minutes. Now it’s time for him to step in. “It’s okay Lafiel, I don’t want to rush you. We can talk about his. You look confused and frighten that’s not how you’re suppose to be feeling now. It’s Okay. I can wait for your answer.” Holding her face so gently he kisses her. She responds by wrapping her arms around him. They stand there entwined and she starts to cry. She gently pushes him back. “I..Love you Jinto.. I wan..” He places his fingers on her lips. “Relax Lafiel, I asked you a question and you’re having trouble answering it at the moment. Don’t force the issue, we can talk about it and discuss it. Relax. I love you too, I always will.”

She embraces him looking over his shoulder at the wall, the turmoil still rages, “Lafiel you’re such a proud fool. Why did not you listen to you heart. No you tried to reason it out. Well you should be thankful he truly loves you or he would have walked away.” She finally relaxes as the tears start flowing, in the middle of her sobbing; she silently utters one word “Yes”. They spend the rest of the day together; the topic of the Jinto’s proposal is not spoken of.

“Admiral Kenesh. Commander Sobbash is approaching in a type two shuttle. She’s requesting communications.” Kenesh sits in the center seat. “Put her on.” The main viewer flickers and Commander Sobbash, looking very worn appears. ”Sobbash what brings you out here? Is their trouble at the depot?” Sobbash smiles. “Bring me aboard it’s easier to discuss face to face.” Kenesh smiles. “As you wish Rear Admiral Sobbash.”

Sobbash’s faces goes blank and then, “You’re joking Kenesh. Please tell me your joking.” Laughter fills the bridge. “No Admiral. I’m not joking. Your promotion has come through and a command comes with it if you wish. We will speak of this when you get here. Admiral.” Kenesh waves her hand and the link is closed. Sobbash stares at the blank display. Then she muses. “Admiral Eh? Well I won’t be the first Abh Admiral with a drinking problem. Is Samson going to be surprised, ah wait! I’ll show up in uniform and surprise them all. Then they will buy all the drinks.” She docks with Kenesh’s shuttle. They will have a long conversation.

“Noel, Noel! Wake up!” Ekuryua rolls over in bed grabbing her creunoc she notices the time. “Lafiel its zero three hundred. What’s so damn important that you got to wake me at three am?” Lafiel continues. “Get dressed and meet me at the tavern Sobbash frequents. As soon as possible and Noel don’t go back to sleep that’s an order!” She sits up in bed and calls for the lights. “Okay Lafiel this had better be important.” The link was broken she dressed and left the ship.

Entering the tavern Noel finds Lafiel sitting in the corner booth. Sitting across from Lafiel, Noel notices a couple of empty bottles. “Lafiel have you been drinking?” She smiles, “Yes I have and I detest being Abh. I should be good and drunk by now but I’m only relaxed. Do you remember the conversation we had just inside the Vorash Sord? The one where you said I was a lot of things but not a criminal?” Noel nods. “You said there were other things that I was, and one day you would tell me? Noel keeps looking and Lafiel continues. “Would one of those things be a pig headed fool? Someone too damn proud to have any feelings of the heart? Am I a idiot?”

Noel’s facial expression changes, “Lafiel what has happened? I won’t say a thing till you answer me.” Lafiel explains everything, from going to the surface of Martine, to meeting Lina, receiving the dress, returning to the depot and Jinto’s proposal. Noel was mystified; this was all new territory for her too. “May I join you two?” Noel looks up Seelnay is standing before them. “I followed Her Highness here earlier tonight, I’ve been sitting in the shadows watching. I was going to approach her that’s when she called you Captain. I’ve heard everything Your Highness has said. I must ask exactly how did you answer Count Hyde?”

Lafiel looks at her. “I didn’t. I could not get the words out. I was and still am so confused I not sure what to do. I’m afraid.” Seelnay sat down and took her hand. “It’s okay. How did he react?” Lafiel thought for a moment. “He was very understanding. He told me an answer as soon as I was comfortable would be fine. We spent the rest of the day together but did not speak of it again.” She thought and took another drink. “Seelnay that question required an immediate answer did it not?” Seelnay smiled. “Normally yes. But in certain cases some time is required to sort ones feelings out on the matter. How did he phrase the proposal?”

Lafiel had no trouble remembering those words she repeated them verbatim. “I know the Abh do not wed or mate for life. If you are truly released from your destiny, then Lafiel Ablïarsec, will you marry me and become my companion for life.”

Jinto’s words moved Noel and Seelnay. It was Noel who spoke first. “You could not answer him? Wow your mind must really be a mess.” Seelnay glared at Noel. “That’s enough Captain stop there. Please.” Noel refrained from further comment. “Are you ready to talk about this Your Highness?” Seelnay inquired. Lafiel poured another one. “I’m not going to be able to sleep until I have a understanding of what Jinto asked. I really would be happy if you explained it to me instead of him doing it.”

Seelnay looks at the tavern owner. “How muck longer are you going to be open?” The owner said about another twenty minutes. Seelnay looks back at Noel and Lafiel. “We need to find a different place to talk and Princess you need to stop dumping that poison in you. I have some refreshments back at my place. Let’s go there. We can talk the rest of the night in peace.” Lafiel finishes the bottle she looks to Noel. “You coming? Or are you going back to the ship?” Noel said she would tag along. The three of them got up and left, leaving a generous tip.

Seelnay’s place was not far away. She fixed some fresh foods, made some teal non and had fresh lope for it. Noel and Lafiel made themselves comfortable. Seelnay starts to talk. She starts with a general statement. “You understand why landers marry don’t you?” Noel is a blank. Lafiel starts to speak, then defers to Seelnay. “Why don’t you tell us? That way there will be no misunderstandings.”

Seelnay started. “Most ancient societies needed a secure environment for the perpetuation of the species, a system of rules to handle the granting of property rights, and the protection of bloodlines. The institution of marriage handled these needs.” Lafiel looks at Seelnay, “So what does that have to do with Jinto and I? The rules of the Empire governs most of that.”

Seelnay continues. “Many people hold the view that regardless of how people enter into matrimony, marriage is a bond between two people that involves responsibility and legalities, as well as commitment and challenge. That concept of marriage hasn't changed through the ages.” Seelnay looks at Lafiel. “I believe this is what he’s after. It’s the commitment and the challenges that he wants a guarantee from you. Now Your Highness that’s where you need to clarify what he wants.”

“Does not religion play a part in this? Lina sent me some information about religion and marriage was mentioned in it as well, and you know how Abh’s feel about religion.” Lafiel looks perplexed. Seelnay smiles. “What I said earlier about marriage was conceived before religion became deeply involved in it. Your Highness, I’m not a religious person but some day I’d like to be married, have the security and comfort of a lifetime partner, maybe have children. You can be married without religion. As long as both parties understand the commitment to each other. You and Count Hyde have made that commitment and you’ve had enough challenges. I don’t think you’ll even need to worry about adopting his last name, which is a custom in some societies.”

Lafiel rocks her head from side to side. “Change my last name? Why? For what reason?” Noel looks at her. “Let’s see, it would be Lafiel Lynn. It’s got a pretty catchy ring to it, don’t Ya think?” Lafiel went to toss her drink at Noel and Seelnay stopped her. “This is my home, you are my guest and you will behave!” She glared at Noel. “You’re sure you’re not related to Admiral Spoor?” Noel flared her nostrils at Seelnay. “No my mother has a little more couth than the good Admiral does.”

Lafiel smiles at her. “Oh Really? Didn’t you have to lock your mother in the brig once?” Noel frowned and Seelnay book in hand takes charge again. “Your Highness read this it’s a History of Marriage, then ask me your questions and Captain would you like another drink or maybe some food?” Lafiel started reading and Noel had an early breakfast. It was daylight on the depot when they finally finished. Lafiel had a lot of things she wanted to discuss with Jinto but first some sleep was in order. Returning to their quarters, she notices that Jinto is gone, there is a note saying he is with Samson. It was from four hours ago. She leaves him a note and retires for the night. It takes her awhile to get to sleep.

Jinto tells Samson of what he’s done. “So, she did not answer you? You don’t seem to be very worried about it.” Jinto smiled. “It’s not like she going to leave me, she just needs sometime to figure it out on her own. She’ll get her questions answered, you can depend on that.” Jinto sips his tea and Samson looks at him in wonder. “Do you know where she is?” Jinto nods. “She’s out getting her questions answered, Noel’s is with her she’ll be fine.” He leaves Samson a bit perplexed. Entering their quarters he spies her note and then sees Lafiel sleeping, he decides not to disturb her and falls asleep on the couch.

“Interesting Kenesh. So you’re fairly sure that the Rebels are still convinced that we don’t know where they are?” “That gives Nastoyia the element of surprise. When they come through that Sord and she’ll annihilate them.” Kenesh hands Sobbash a data pad. “She now has a very experienced Chief of Staff.” Sobbash reads the pad. “Oh my, you put those two together? Was that a wise move?” Kenesh nods. “Yes Sobbash they will work together. I’ve seen to that, keep reading it will become quite clear.”

Sobbash keeps reading the smile starts growing on her face. It finally reaches it maximum proportions she lays the pad aside. “That’s just priceless, black mail both of them into co-operating, sounds like something Ramaj would do. Then again you two have gotten very close.” Kenesh returns to the conversation. “You brought me tactical strength and personnel reports. Can the Hyde system defend itself?” Sobbash hands Kenesh a file. “Not only can they defend themselves. They actually might be able to mount an offensive.”

Kenesh opens the file it contains the technical specifications on the Lashkau and the Basroil. Kenesh continues to read. She looks at Sobbash. “Who ordered these modifications? Who paid for them? Why wasn’t I notified till now about them?” Sobbash swallowed hard and explained to Kenesh. “The modifications were from the combined efforts of Depot Master Samson, Chief Engineer Paveryua, and Admiral Spoor’s Staff. Count Hyde and Princess Ablïarsec financed the project and as the Princesses Chief of Security, I was not allowed till now to tell anyone of what was being done there.”

Sobbash finishes. Kenesh still had a very angry look on her face. Kenesh finished the folder sat it in front of her the anger slowly left her face. “Okay Sobbash show me these two wonder weapons. I’ll have words with Her Highness when I get there.” Kenesh knew it would be pointless she had never been able to best an Ablïarsec before but she need to state her case anyway just to satisfy her own feelings on the matter. Sobbash presents Kenesh with the initial test results from the Basroil and the projected performance specifications for the Lashkau.

She reads them, as she does, the color drains from her face. “If I had a five-hundred ships like the Lashkau. Their firepower would rival that of the entire Star Forces. Why build such a destructive weapon?” Sobbash shook her head. “You’re going to have to ask them. I’m still in disbelief over the entire project, Admiral.”

Sobbash hands Kenesh the personnel files and status report. Kenesh opens it the first page appalls her. “They are both Ill? I figured Spoor would be recovered by now. But the Princess, Anemic, almost to the point of being unconscious, how, why was I not informed?” She looks at Sobbash. “You were ordered not to?” Sobbash nods. “How soon can they be ready to go if need be, well at least Spoor. I’d like the Princess to sit this one out.” Sobbash takes her hand and opens the file to the last page. “We will need to talk to medical about how soon, as for having the Princess sit on the sidelines you better read that.” Kenesh reads the fake message that was sent to Lafiel. “She knows that the message is a trap, but the wording of it would have sent any member of the royal family into a tirade.”

Sobbash touches her hand Kenesh raises her head they make eye contact. “Admiral the only reason the Princess is here is because of Count Hyde and her medical condition. Decca Commander Ekuryua would have given her command of the attack frigate to carry out her revenge. Kenesh don’t push her. She’s wound pretty tight. In fact she relieved a little tension the other night. How she did it was.” She hands Kenesh the scanning data from the Lashkau and the Basroil pertaining to Lafiel’s game of chicken. Kenesh scans the report her eyes widen. “I see, then she is ready to fight?” Sobbash shook her head. “Afraid not Kenesh. She passed out just after completing the maneuver if she had gone another five minutes both ships would have been destroyed and most of their crews would be dead. She pushed herself past her limits and got away with it his time, in combat however she would not survive, well at least not now.”

Kenesh looks around her they are eight hours from the Hyde depot. Sobbash has dumped a lot of information upon her. She needs to sort things out before she gets there. “Thank you Admiral Sobbash I go through all this information. Why don’t you get something to eat, clean up and get some rest? Should I have anymore questions I’ll ask you before we get to the depot. You are excused.”

Sobbash goes to leave the room. She notices Kenesh localizing the gravity field on the table, and then she sits on the edge and goes weightless. With files and graphs floating with her, she starts reading in detail. Sobbash opens the door to leave; the lights dim behind her. A hot meal a warm bath and to bed for Admiral Sobbash. She will get about five hours sleep it’s the most at one time she’s had in the past six months. This day will prove the most interesting day of her life, her Star Forces career, it will be a turning point that she will reflect on till the day she dies.

The blaring of the general alarm brought him to consciousness. Raising his creunoc to his lips he spoke calmly.
”Bridge, what is happening up there?” Nastoyia answered him. “It’s the reconnaissance fleet as the rear most ships were about to clear the Sord. They picked up a large group of space-time shots. We’ve verified them to be the Rebel fleet. I’ve ordered Kotoponi to the inner planets as planned and have dispatched a shuttle thru the short cut to inform Admiral Kenesh. Estimated time of Rebel fleet arrival ten hours.” Nefee sat up in bed he called for his cabin lights. Putting on his boots he heads for the bridge.

“Were those ships I saw?” The navigator abroad the flagship looks at his display once again, it was clear. He saw nothing at the exit of the Sord. “My Lord there are no ship at the Sord exit, just as she has predicted. If the Abh is on the other side they will be blind to our arrival. Your orders My Lord?” A hand pushes the hair from his face and then strokes his beard. “Signal the fleet to attack. When we are about to leave the Sord, launch every mine we have at them. How long till the mine launching point?” The navigator runs the figures. ”About nine hours My Lord.” His hand still strokes his beard, “Very well, go to battle stations in eight and a half hours, until then rest all personnel.” He stands his long cape hides his tall slender build. “I’ll be in my quarters. I suggest all of you should get rest along the way.” The Lord leaves the bridge and heads for his quarters. He falls into his bed and goes into a Very light sleep.

“If we can keep up this pace for another four hours we can send Admiral Kenesh a message. She’ll receive it before she leaves the Sord.” The pilot of the ultra high-speed shuttle scans the area. “There just on the edge of the screen Admiral Kenesh’s shuttle. If they are scanning we should be visible to them in twenty minutes.” The communications officer looks around her. “We need to attract their attention to our presence. I know I’ll adjust our F.O. F. code to show we are under attack. It will set off an alarm aboard her shuttle and they will see us.” The pilot concentrates on making the best time through the narrow flight path of the short cut. “Do it, attract their attention, just project the signal forward. Don’t want to leave a trail to be followed.”

The communications officer adjusts the response code. She sighs, ”It’s a shame we can’t send a message on the F.O.F. hyper speed data frequency.” She presses the button and the ships identification changes. They both wait.

Lafiel awakens. She finds Jinto asleep on the couch. Getting out of bed she walks to the couch and slips in next to Jinto. “Oh hi Lafiel. You’re awake.” She’s less than an inch from his face. His eyes are still fuzzy she kisses his cheek. ”I figured you’d get into bed with me, why didn’t you?” He tries to move she’s got him pinned in. “I figured you needed some sleep and it’s not to bad here, so what woke you?” She kisses his cheek again. “I was lonely. I missed you Jinto. Aren’t you lonely too?” Jinto opens one eye. It was dimly lit in the room but Lafiel’s features came into focus. Her eyes were half opened and showed signs of recent tears. Then he noticed something, her breath smelled of strong drink. “Lafiel are you okay?” She hugged him. “Jinto you’ve never been mean to me. You’ve never said anything to hurt me. What have I done to deserve someone like you?”

Jinto finally got an arm loose. He moved the covers so Lafiel might slip in completely with him. She was settled facing him his arm around her middle their faces inches apart. “You remember when we were on our way to the Gosroth? You sensed it before we left the space dock, you knew exactly where it was at and how to approach it? Lafiel nods. “What does that have to do with you and I Jinto?” With his free hand he moves her hair from her face. “A lot and nothing. You knew then what you were doing, but I knew nothing. When you realized it. You tried your best to console me although we had just met. It’s that side of you, those honest actions that Lafiel behind the hard nose Royal Princess. She’s the one I fell in love with.” Lafiel buries her head in his chest and quietly sobs. In that position is how they fall asleep.

“Well what is this?” The tactical officer aboard the shuttle watches her display change from normal to alert then back to normal again. She trains the rear sensor and sweeps at maximum power. The small shuttle appears emitting a very strange code. “Captain look at this.” The Captain rises from the center seat and looks at the tactical display. “Navigator bring us to a stop. Admiral Kenesh to the bridge. Bring the ship to battle stations.” The ship chimes with the battle alert.

The lift door opens and Admiral Kenesh enters. “Admiral, look at this.” Kenesh looks at the tactical display she smiles. “The Rebels are on the move. How long before we can speak with them?” The Captain looks around she scans the narrow corridor. “Since we’ve stopped and they’ve not slowed, I’d say about an hour at the most.” Kenesh smiles. “Very good secure from battle stations. The moment you make contact with them pipe them directly to my quarters.” Kenesh leaves the bridge.

The battle alarm brings her about; she muses about her present position. “I’m in plane space, aboard a lightly armed shuttle, with an unarmed shuttle in the docking bay. This ship just went to battle stations and nobody has summoned me. Well if I’m going to die, I’ll die in my sleep.” She pulls the covers over her head, as the alarm is silenced, she stares at the ceiling. “Just my luck nothing is going to happen. When I awake, I’ll still be an Admiral.” Sobbash quietly curses the Star Forces and falls back to sleep.

“Look they’ve stopped. We are gaining on them. Estimated time to communications with them forty minutes. It worked it really worked.” The Communications officer has this proud smile upon her face. It seems forever before the lamp on her console lit. “That’s it we are within range you can slow down if you wish.” The pilot slowed the shuttle; a look of relief came to his face. “Have they accepted the signal?” She stares at the panel the display flashes and Admiral Kenesh’s face appears. “I think they have.” The communications officer said. “Judging by your hap hazard approach Admiral Nastoyia must have made contact with the Rebel fleet.” Kenesh’s face then smiled. “Report young ones. You’ve done well to get here.” The report is read to Kenesh. She orders the shuttle to join with them and they proceed through the Hyde Sord.

Risch had finished attending to the reactor when the general alarm sounded. Still in his envirosuit he headed for a communications terminal. A general alert message was being broadcast from Admiral Kenesh’s shuttle as it enter the Hyde system. Ekuryua had just posted a message for all senior staff to meet in the wardroom at once. Leaving his helmet on the desk he made his way to the wardroom. The gunnery, tactical and communications officers were already there, he entered the room and sat next to the gunnery officer.

Ekuryua enters the room “As you were, stay seated all of you.” She proceeds to bring up a display of the Hyde System. The Rebel fleet is on the move, they should make contact with Nastoyia’s fleet in approximately four hours. Admiral Kenesh has issued orders to bring this system to full alert. Now, we do have a problem.” She points to the display. The orbit of the fuel depot puts it in line of sight, with the Sord for the next twenty-three days. This means any defense of the system will have to be at or inside the Sord, we will have little room for error.” The tactical officer clears his throat. “Captain you are assuming that Admiral Nastoyia won’t stop them. My money’s on Nastoyia.” Ekuryua turns the display off and stands in front of the screen. “You are assuming that we have overwhelming odds, we do not. The latest report shows we hold a slight advantage in ships to the Rebel fleet. My guess is some of them are going to be heading this way.”

She turns the display back on. The diagram of the Hyde System comes into view. “All of you study this, I’ve been summoned to the depot for a commanders meeting. Come up with a defense plan for the system. You may confer with Admiral Spoor and Admiral Atosuryua’s staffs. Protecting the depot and the inhabited planets will be our second goal; our first is to stop any invaders from entering this territory. You have your orders. I will be back as soon as possible.” Ekuryua goes to leave the room on her way out she address Risch. “Get changed engineer you’re coming with me.” She smiles and leaves the room. Risch follows her, she waits outside his room as he changes, then they head for the deport office.

Seelnay received the general alarm broadcast and relayed it throughout the depot. She then contacted the inspection ship Seelnay. She ordered them to do one last inspection of the depot and the ships moored there. They were to note any problems, then once finished with the inspection, report and repair any problems encountered. She finally contacted Paveryua. “Are you ready? I’ve moved the tender and cleared the area for one half light second distance as you requested.” Silence followed. Seelnay had gotten used to the delay in answers from him. “We are ready here Seelnay. Monitor the ship for radiation leaks.”

The Lashkau sat in orbit operating on reserve power; the modifications were completed now it was time to fire the reactor. A skeleton engineering crew was aboard the Lashkau all in envirosuits and ready at a moment’s notice to flee if the reactor acted up. “Let’s do this, we still got a lot of other things to do and that general alarm means we will be having company soon.” The valves were opened to the water tanks. The reactor filled. When the level was correct the fuel rods were inserted into the reactor. The room filled with an eerie blue glow. The reactor was on its way to becoming stable.

“Switch over from the reserves, operate the ships systems on the reactor power.” Within ten minutes the ship was stable running on it’s own. For the first time since it was towed to the Hyde System ten weeks earlier. “Paveryua you’re a miracle worker.” Samson’s voice rang over the din of the still settling reactor. “Give the Lashkau eight hours to become balanced, then the shields and engines are next. If they work, then you can heap your praise on me!” Samson closes the channel he looks at Seelnay. “Do you think we are going to have visitors?” She nods her head. Samson leaves the office he is heading for Admiral Kenesh’s staff meeting.

The general alarm woke Lafiel. She was still nestled in Jinto’s chest. “Jinto wake up something is happening. The alarm is going off.” She reaches for his arm and looks at his creunoc. Her eyes are still fuzzy; she finally focuses and makes out the message. Jinto hits the floor as she pushes him out of her way. His eyes slowly open to find Lafiel quickly dressing before him. He finally hears the alarm and reads his creunoc. Springing to his feet he starts dressing. They leave their quarters together in a mad dash for the depot.

They arrive winded, as Samson is coming down the hall. “You two look like you just got out of bed.” Lafiel shoots Samson a look that stops him from finishing his sentence. They enter and take seats at the middle of the room. Ekuryua and Risch sit next to Lafiel. Noel reaches for Lafiel’s hand. Lafiel takes it and gives it a good squeeze. “Not yet and not now.” She whispers to Noel. Noel nods and takes her hand back.

At that moment Admiral Kenesh enters the room she is accompanied by Admirals Spoor and Atosuryua along with Kufadis. But Sobbash is nowhere to be seen, they all sit at the head table. Samson looks around he still does not see Sobbash. Jinto senses his apprehension and pats him on the shoulder. “Don’t worry she’ll be here, nothing has happen to her. We would have know if it had.” Samson sat back and returned his attention to the front of the room.

Admiral Kenesh stood the room became silent; she surveyed the assembled group. “Before I start this briefing I have an announcement I’d like to make. From the moment I arrived I’ve been swamped with request to name a system commander.” She stares at Atosuryua, then returns to her statement. “I’ve decided on who will be responsible for the Hyde System, I’d like to introduce her to you now.” Atosuryua gets a smile on her face she starts to move.

“Admiral Sobbash will you please come in here.” Atosuryua hits the chair seat hard. From behind the display Sobbash comes into view she sits next to Kufadis. “Admiral Sobbash is in charge of this system and Admiral Spoor is responsible for the defense of this system.” Kenesh looks at Atosuryua. “Admiral Atosuryua will support Admiral Spoor’s attack fleet. She will report to Admiral Spoor.” Atosuryua sat stunned. Kenesh continued.

“I’ve received reports since I arrived of Rebel movements along the entire outer ring. I believe these to be decoy movements to keep our forces spread thin. Admiral Nastoyia is facing their main fleet she does not have superior odds.” The display behinds Kenesh lights up. The chart is of the area between Sord 577 and the Hyde Sord.

Pointer in hand she starts. “Nastoyia’s here, Trife is here and Kotoponi is suppose to be with Trife, however she was cut off from him, she remains with Admiral Nastoyia. Taking into consideration most of the sectors between Sord 577 and the Capital are occupied by forces equal to, or superior to, the Rebel fleet. Their only course of advancement is through the Hyde System and the connection through Vorash to the Capital.” She paused and looks around the room. “If Nastoyia is unable to stop the Rebels at Sord 577 we need to be ready to defend the Hyde Sord. This is an interactive discussion any questions?”

Jinto stood. “You seem to be convinced that Admiral Nastoyia won’t be able to halt the Rebel fleet at Sord 577. She has ten times the ships we have here. I’m at a loss to understand your feelings Admiral.” Jinto returned to his seat. Kenesh though through Jinto question carefully before she answered him. “Count Hyde you ask a valid question which I will answer. We have had a lot of dissension and desertion within Nastoyia’s fleet. Her former Chief of Staff was a rebel spy. We are not sure how much information she gleaned from being attached to Nastoyia’s command structure. So I changed the playing field and the rules. That fleet is under the joint command of Admiral’s Nastoyia and Nefee Bebaus. With Admiral Bebaus being the supreme commander. The Rebel fleet thinks they will be fighting Admiral Nastoyia in actually the will be facing Admiral Bebaus. It should prove interesting. But I see twenty five percent of the rebel fleet surviving and heading this way.”

From behind her Admiral Spoor spoke. “Well then we’ve got a little surprise for them when they get here.” Kenesh turns towards her. “You’re talking about your untried toy moored on the other side of the depot?” Spoor smiles. “So you know about it and the Basroil too?” Kenesh nods. “I’m counting on them, they’d better work. For now we wait for the battle report from Nefee then we can go on from there. Any further questions?” The statement was met with silence. “Very well this ends the briefing. You are dismissed.”

Sobbash rises from her seat and moves towards the center of the room. She sits behind Samson. He greets her with an icy stare. “So this is you little surprise Eh? Admiral?” She leans forward and whispers in his ear. “No. I’m just as surprised as you are. Once this is over I’ll tell you the rest, for now can you still trust me?” Samson’s reflects on Sobbash her look is a genuine one. For the first time in a long time he sees the old Sobbash. Before all the pressure was applied. It’s a look he enjoys. “Okay Admiral. I’ll trust you, of course with your new position and wealth you’re buying.” Sobbash smiles. “You’ve not changed and I guess I’ll not change you. Ready to go?” Samson shakes his head and points to his left. “I want to know the outcome of this conversation before I leave.”

Sitting to his left is Jinto, Lafiel, Noel, Risch, Spoor and Kenesh. Kenesh had been doing most of the speaking till now. “So you did this as an experiment a way to defend the system, for the least amount of money, resources and the Princess knew nothing of it till she got here, is that what you’re telling me Count Hyde?” Jinto took the criticism well. “Yes Admiral I have a duty to protect this system, even though most of its populous despise me it’s still my home world. Just as Lakekafalle is yours and you would do anything to defend it as well. Am I correct?”

Kenesh is taken aback. She had geared herself to argue with Lafiel. However she had never had a lengthy conversation with Jinto before. His logic was beyond question, his reasons sincere. She was at a loss to try to argue the ship development with him. He was well with in his rights as sovereign to defend his realm to the best of his abilities. She accepted the fact that the two of them made a formidable pair she also recalled Ramaj’s warning to her about crossing them. Now she completely understood what she had meant. They worked as a team, each of them covering the others weakness.

She stood in disbelief for a moment then said. “Count Hyde. Are you and Her Highness planning to defend the system too?” Since Kenesh’s opening salvo Lafiel had remained quiet; it had been decided that Jinto would deal with Kenesh’s inquiry. Now that the subject of battle had arisen she was taking more interest in the conversation. Jinto motion for Kenesh to be seated which she did and he stated.

“The Basroil was the test bed for most of the development of the Lashkau. I wanted it to be a present to Lafiel. Now that it might be needed. I can only think of one person who should captain it.” He turns his gaze towards Lafiel. Her eyes meet his, the unspoken word’s flow between them and Lafiel smiles. Kenesh’s watches this and then says. “Well I guess I can’t ask you two not to do it.” She looks at Lafiel. “Ramaj will have my head if anything happens to you. Do you have a crew?”

Lafiel a little dazed looks at Jinto. He is caught flat-footed as well; he never figured Kenesh would give in so easily. A voice from behind Jinto bails him out. “Crewing the Basroil won’t be a problem, as long as Her Highness commands we can find plenty of staff for the ship.” Samson and Sobbash had approached them as the conversation was occurring. They had an excellent listening position just behind Jinto. “I’m in.” Samson said knowing that Sobbash would have other duties. “Paveryua can do the engineering. Seelnay can man the weapons and navigate. Just need a supply officer.” He looks at Jinto who returned his look with a smile. “Anywhere Lafiel goes I go.” Jinto responded.

Kenesh still had a wet blanket to use. “The only way I’ll allow this is if you are medically fit to go and at the moment neither Admiral Spoor nor Her Highness has been released by medical as fit for duty. Star Forces regulations require that.” Lafiel interrupts her. “Blast those regulations Kenesh. If it comes down to sitting on my butt and losing the system, sitting on my butt is not an option. I’m willing to die to save this place. Have I made myself perfectly clear Kenesh? I’m old enough to decide whom I can love. Where I want to live and how I’ll die. Dying here is not my first choice, but watching this system getting destroyed is not an option either. If it comes down to it I’m fighting Kenesh. I’m a solider first and I guess I always will be. You can give that message to my grandmother too.” She looks at Jinto. “Can you accept that?” Quietly Jinto nods his head.

Kenesh waves her hand towards them. “I understand your position on this matter and I will abide by your wishes. I want to reserve the right to modify my orders pending the outcome of the battle at Sord 577.” An agreement was reached they split into groups and left the meeting room. Samson and Sobbash were seen heading towards the tavern. Kenesh, Spoor and Kufadis made their way to the Lashkau. Jinto, Lafiel, Noel and Risch headed to the dining hall for a late meal. They met Seelnay enroute she then invited them to her place for dinner. Jinto explained the conversation to Seelnay as they walked. She gladly accepted to go with Lafiel on the Basroil. “I know the operations of the Basroil better than anyone on the depot. I can almost operate it in my sleep.” Those words brought a strange comfort to Jinto. Seelnay prepared a meal that everyone enjoyed. While they ate the battle was beginning at Sord 577.

“My Lord we are at the mine release point. But there are no targets. The system seems empty.” The Lord watches the instrument they show no traces of recent engine emissions. “Had the Abh abandoned they system and if so where did they go?” He kept looking nothing. No traces. Granted the scanning range was limited by the Sords event horizon. But something should be visible. He presses a button on his command chair arm. “Get up here now! Something is wrong.” The door to the bridge opens, a winded woman enters the bridge. Before she can speak he points to the display. “There are no Abh in this system explain this. Now!” She looks carefully then in a moment of self-assurance she speaks. “They must have mutinied. They’ve left the area. The plan worked better than I ever though it would. The system and the crossover are ours for the taking.” She looks at him. “We’ve won My Lord. There is no resistance. Let’s transit the system and head for the Abh Capital.” Caught up in the moment he issues the order to have the entire fleet enter normal space together.

Nefee’s plan was simple. It was taken out of Admiral Trife’s maneuver book and modified with that Bebaus flair for the artistic. They would allow the Rebels to clear the Sord. Then surround them and slice them to pieces. Admiral Kotoponi defended the transfer point. He felt that not one ship would make it to that point. Over confidence was clouding Nefee judgment this time. The signal to attack was when the last ship was five hundred thousand meters from the Sord. That would allow the defense fleet to seal off that escape route. Then the slaughter would commence. Nefee sat in the center seat and smiled contently. The battle was about to commence.

At five hundred thousand meters from the Sord the last five ships of the Rebel fleet suddenly exploded. Nefee had sprung his trap. What he did not count on was the speed in which the Rebel fleet spread through the system. About fifty ships went through the trap before it could be closed. They managed to get past Admiral Kotoponi’s defense fleet only suffering minor damage. Six hours later the balance of the Rebel fleet lay in ruins. However fifty undamaged ships were on their way to the Hyde System.

Nefee split his forces. He took his fastest ships, left Nastoyia in charge of the clean up and went after the balance of the Rebel fleet. By the time he entered the Sord, the Rebels had an eight-hour head start. It would take most of the ten days to the Hyde system to catch them. At least that’s what Nefee hoped.
He dispatched a shuttle through the short cut to warn Admiral Kenesh of what was coming her way. He then reflected on the error in judgment he made and planned not to make the same mistake again. As soon as contact was made a glorious battle in plane space would occur, those thoughts put him to sleep.

The first ship exploded he knew then it was a trap. He ordered the fleet to battle speed and headed for the transfer point. Forty-eight ships and two supply vessels escaped the Abh trap. He had less than twenty-five percent of his original fleet left to him. The woman was confined to her quarters. His first thought was to kill her. But she might prove useful if they survived. Then he’d execute her for treason. Refueling he left the supply vessels set to explode when they were approached. It was another way to slow the Abh down. Although he knew they weren’t visible he also knew they were hot on his heels. At their present speed they would clear the Hyde Sord in less than nine days there he would make his stand in the vastness of the Hyde System.

On the sixth day the shuttle from Admiral Bebaus arrive in the Hyde System. The message was greeted with a positive spin. The depot had around forty operational ships and enough ammunition and fuel to last years. The Rebels on the other hand would be short of supplies when they arrived. Lafiel sat in her room she had finished reading the note from her brother for the sixth time since it arrived; “He’s going to make a great Emperor. If he can get father to admit he was wrong. That was a feat in itself. I just hope I live though this. So I might see him ascend to the throne.”

Lafiel had buckled down; she and Admiral Spoor had spent the last six-days following a strict schedule that Seelnay had made. Plenty of sleep, good food and exercise Lafiel was beginning to really feel the benefit of the workout. She could go an entire day without a nap. She and Jinto had spent very little time together. They met each other coming and going. Not even have a chance to say much past the normal greetings. Lafiel was glad when the message arrived. Once this battle was done she had something to tell Jinto. She wanted nothing to interfere with what she wanted to say.

The Lashkau had set off for a shake down cruise three days earlier. The reports coming in were very favorable. All systems operated as expected. The weapons power was as Kufadis described it. “Like watching a super nova consuming a solar system.” The Lashkau would be returning to the depot soon. Then it would be refueled and rearmed and wait for the Rebels to arrive. The operational systems on the Basroil were put through their final test and calibrations; Seelnay and Paveryua told Samson that the Basroil was as ready as it would be. Jinto had spent the last six days studying the ships new configuration, as supply and executive officer he would be the one to keep Lafiel up to speed on the ship.

Kenesh finalized her plans and returned to the Capital. Sobbash took over operation command of the system. She and Jinto met Teel and Lina on the platform to brief them on the upcoming battle. Teel wanted assurances from them that Martine would not be used as a base or to hide ships behind. Jinto told him that was acceptable to him and that Martine’s position in the next ten days should place it clear of the fuel depot should it fall under attack and explode. Lina sat next to Sobbash. The more Jinto spoke the more agitated she became finally, she spoke.

“How can you be so calm, the two of you? The system is going to be attacked and you treat it as if you’re making plans to go to the mountains.” Sobbash goes to restrain her. Jinto shakes his head. “Let her speak. She’s entitled to her opinion.” Lina is now standing in-between Jinto and Teel she continues her questioning. “Jinto where are you going to be?” Jinto averts his gaze from her. “You’re going to be out there defending the system aren’t you? With the Princess at your side? Why Jinto? Why? The Star Forces can defend the system. You and the Princess stay here with us.”

She is screaming at Jinto. Sobbash stands and puts her arm around Lina. “Ma’am this will do no good. They have a duty to protect this system. None of us could stop them if we tried. We will try to keep them safe. He has to do what he feels he must. Please accept that.” Lina looks at Sobbash. “You used plural and singular words, you mean the Princess plans on defending this place with Jinto?” Sobbash nods and releases her. Lina returns to Jinto. “Whose decision was it? Did you talk her into this?” Jinto holds Lina in his arms. “No mother. We decided to do this the moment we knew you would be in danger.” Jinto hands Lina to Teel, she stands along side him. Sobbash stands next to Jinto, he addresses them. “Be well my parents. I’ll will do everything in my power to keep you safe.” He goes to leave; Lina has the last word. “I want to hold a grandchild Jinto. Do not disappoint me.” Jinto smiles at Lina. He turns Sobbash follows him to the shuttle they depart the pad and head for the depot.

Sobbash broke the silence. “I never had parents. I was my father’s daughter. But he was killed soon after I was born. The senior members of the family passed me from house to house. Finally when I reached the age I could enter the Star Forces. I went willingly. It’s the only family I’ve known. So that’s what parents are like?” Jinto stared at first. Then his look softened. “No family growing up? Is that why you’ve been so aloof?” She nods. “That and I don’t know how to handle deep relationships. I can socialize but to have a meaningful relationship scares me to death.” Jinto interrupted. “To drink you mean. That’s why you drink so much and take those pills to forget your past. But being one hundred percent Abh the memories always return.”

She nods and puts her head in her hands. “You know Samson has been trying to get closer and I keep pushing him away. I like him a lot but I can’t seem to tell him how I feel.” Jinto puts his arm on her shoulder. “Try starting with what you just told me and let it go on from their Sobbash. Samson’s a pretty understanding fellow. I should know shouldn’t I?” She lifted her face from her hands. It was flushed with signs of tears running down it.

“I think I know what Lafiel sees in you. It’s the person you are. I always thought it was your physical appearance. But it’s that big heart of yours.” She returns her head to her hands and gently sobs. “I’m such a fool. If I had not gone to the planet with you I would have lost him.” The shuttle lands at the depot. Before they depart Sobbash swears Jinto not to tell a soul about what they have talked about. “It won’t be a for very long. Once this crisis is over then we will talk about it. All of us okay?” Jinto nods. They went their separate ways. She went back to the command center and Jinto to the Basroil for a final run through of the systems and then to bed. As he walked back to their quarters, he thought he might get to see Lafiel awake for once. She was sound asleep when he entered the room. He dressed for bed, headed for the couch and fell into a restful sleep.

“My Lord the signal from the transports has stopped.” Leaning back in the chair he plots the distance. The Abh are eight hours behind him. If he times it right, they can refuel and enter the Sord leading to Vorash before his pursuers arrive. The information he has says the Hyde System is lightly defended. One quick thrust, refuel the fleet then off to attack the Capital or die trying. The gray scene on the main viewer comforts him; he never could understand why space was always a comfort for him.

“Admiral. Rebel transports are drifting into our path.” Before the navigator could finish Nefee calmly says. “Destroy them now. Target and fire at will.” The first mine gets within three thousand meters and both transports violently explode. The flagship buffets from the force of the explosion. Nefee scans the area, convinced that those ships were left as a trap, he senses nothing else within range. “Maintain course and maximum speed. I’m going to my quarters. Notify me of anything that occurs. It makes no difference if I’m asleep or not. Understand?” The navigator accepts Nefee’s orders. The commander leaves the bridge. On his way to his quarters he informs Nastoyia of the ships left in plane space and requests her present status. It would be thirty-three hours before he would get an answer. Just before his planned confrontation with the Rebel fleet should occur. He falls into a restlessness sleep.

For the better part of a week, spending almost eight hours a day. Ramaj plowed through the transcripts of Dusanyu’s clones ranting. Finally she found what she was looking for. It was an obscure conversation about the people who contacted him. It was nonsense at first. But after several viewings Ramaj was convinced she found her missing piece. Summoning Dr. Sasoum to the meeting room she played the interview for the doctor. When it was finished she commented. “Doctor, will you please judge his state of mind for me?” The doctor review the conversation again as she did her interest peaked. She now saw what Ramaj had seen. “He’s very sane, his statements are consistent with one who has his faculties about him. Is he saying what I think he’s saying?” Ramaj nods in agreement. “You will not divulge what you have seen to anybody. The future of the Empire depends on your silence.” The doctor stares at the display it’s frozen with his face smiling. She readily agrees to Ramaj’s request. The walk back to her quarters brings her comfort.

Continued in the next post

"Ah! You don't know my name?
Its very simple, Lafiel you shall say.
In return I'd like to call you Jinto."

Diaho
Site Administrator

Re: 13_The Truth Behind the Lies

Post by Diaho »

Admiral Spoor was in the gym on the treadmill when Kufadis entered. “Well Kufadis how did the test go?” Kufadis brought a chair over he sat it in front of the treadmill and sat facing Spoor. “Everything went as planned the ship is fully operational with the limits the Paveryua set.” His concern was plainly displayed on his face and Spoor took note of it.”Kufadis there is something else isn’t there?” Spoor had stopped on the treadmill; she was leaning over the front looking Kufadis directly in his face. The contours of Kufadis face held forth what his eyes had seen. “We’ve created a monstrously destructive weapon, I’ve just witnessed its power. Admiral it scares me. It really scares me. To have such power it’s the power of total annihilation. Spoor saw his face and heard his words she thought carefully before she spoke.

“Kufadis we did not start this war now did we?” His facial expression did not change. ”How many have died on both sides? How many years has it been? If by producing those two ships, we can stop them here. Then the word returns of their power, maybe.” He stops her. “Maybe they’ll steal the plans for them and produce them in mass. Then there will be more death and destruction. It’s a vicious circle Painiach, there has to be another way. Admiral Bebaus can’t be right. Destroying half of the galaxy to achieve peace. Well he’s as mad as.” Spoor leaned into his face. “As I am Kufadis?” The color started to return to his face. She had said what he had been feeling since the modifications to the Lashkau were started. “Admiral just what are you after? It’s more than ending the war isn’t it?” She leaned back and stepped off the treadmill. Picking up a chair she placed it in front of Kufadis and sat facing him. They were less than a foot apart.

“You’re correct you know Kufadis. I had grand and glorious plans. I even thought about the Jade throne. Then I realized how lonely that life is. Not anymore, no more loneness for me I have someone I care for dearly, it is you Kufadis. What I want now is to finish this war. Go back home and rule my territory with you by my side. We will make sure the balance of the Empire is stable, before I go home. But home with you is now the only goal I have. The Lashkau is the tool I’ll use to accomplish my goals. When this is all done we will take the Lashkau home with us as a memento of my glorious victory and to make sure we can defend my territory.”

Kufadis looks into her eyes they were clear and deep. She was speaking the truth to him. For the first time he actually understood her plans. She might change them again. But he felt since she had come forth with everything she had been thinking that she was truly going to follow this course of action. “So we are going to finish it here, end the war, you really think so Admiral?” She nods in agreement. He leaned forward and held her. Doubt still crept through his thoughts he wished he felt as confident as she did. They left the gym and headed for the Lashkau. They walked there slowly talking most of the way to the ship. Kufadis was still not sure of this.

It was late as she returned to her quarters. Most of the past five days she spent aboard the Basroil becoming comfortable with the ships operation and systems. She spotted Samson standing in front of the entrance to the residence section. “You’re up late Seelnay. Still getting comfortable with the Basroil?” She stops and faces him. “Yes. I believe I’ve got it down to where I can handle the ship in combat. I really wish we had more bridge crew”

Samson raised an eyebrow. “Then you’ve not heard about it? Spoor took the shuttle crew and assigned them to the Basroil. Seems one of them was a navigator and the other a communications chief. You’ll have a full bridge crew on board and looks like a very healthy Captain.” She smiles. “Then medical has approved her for return to duty?” Samson nods. “There’s more. Spoors returned and she wishes to speak with you. That’s why I’ve been waiting here.” Seelnay frowns “She does not want to see me now does she?” Samson puts his creunoc to his eyes. “In about seven hour at the Lashkau. That was the message I was to deliver to you. I think you better get some sleep then.” Seelnay thanks Samson and heads for her quarters. She slept soundly.

Clearing the Vorash Sord. Kenesh’s shuttle was flooded with communication requests. Not wanting to waste time she order them to be downloaded. Then a position report to the Capital was sent and finally into the Sord for the trip back to the Capital. They were two hours into the Sord when Kenesh read Ramaj’s message. She ordered a shuttle to be sent back to Vorash and the encrypted message forwarded to Admiral Spoor. She sat in her quarters reading the message her only thought was. “This can’t be true, this is impossible.” The shuttle carried out its mission, and Kenesh sped towards the Capital.

Admiral Sobbash had sent two patrol vessels into the Sord. Their mission was to identify the approaching fleet and return to the Sord warning the depot. Sitting in her office Sobbash reviewed the plans for defending the system. She did not have a lot of choices, due to the system rotation the fuel depot would be facing the Sord when the Rebels exited it. She had wished it had been later in the rotation cycle where the depot was almost hidden from the Sord, but that was not to be. She tapped her creunoc and then spoke. “Samson could you stop by my office as soon as possible?” “On my way Admiral.” was the reply. When Samson entered the office Sobbash had one question. She asked if there were any damaged fuel cells or tanks about the depot.

Samson stood for a moment. “There are about thirteen, we were going to destroy them why do you ask?” Sobbash then proceeded to lie out a plan to hide the depot from the Rebels. “So if I take the damaged tanks and place nuclear bombs inside them. Then if the Rebels try to approach the depot I’ll detonate them and in the confusion. They’ll think we just destroyed the fuel reserves.”

Samson intervened. “Good plan. One flaw. The flash will blind them but the radiation will affect the sensors aboard the fleet. You could very well leave them blinded momentary. What we could do is place some fuel in the tanks and detonate them with conventional explosives. The effect would be the same and the radiation released would be negligible.” Sobbash faces Samson she embraced him as she did she whispered in his ear. “We make a good team you and I. After this is over I’d like to pursue a long term relationship if that is acceptable with you?” The embrace Samson returned answered her question.

Arriving at the gangway that led to the Lashkau. Seelnay paused. She marveled at the ship. Its red exterior the weaponry it carried. Then she announced her arrival to the duty officer. Commander Kufadis met her at the end of the gangway. “Welcome aboard the Admiral is waiting for you. Follow me.” Kufadis turns and heads towards the middle of the ship. Seelnay follows him. A wave of his hand and the door to a conference room opens. Seated in this room are Admiral’s Spoor and Atosuryua. Her Highness, Count Hyde, Captain Ekuryua Chief Engineers Risch and Paveryua plus several others Seelnay did not know. Admiral Spoor spoke. “Have a seat.” She motioned to an empty chair next to Paveryua. Seelnay sits down.

Spoor continues. “Now that we are here. It’s time to plan our defense of the Sord.” The lights dimmed and a chart of the Hyde system came into view. “Our biggest problem is the position of the fuel depot during the battle. As you can see it’s in plain view of the Sord an easy target. Now the Rebels like us will need fuel. So the possibility of it being destroyed on purpose is slight. But a random mine, or other weapons discharge and we have a problem. We have moved as many of the fuel filled asteroids as we could to here, behind the fourth planets third moon. This will be our refueling base.

Admiral Sobbash and Depot Master Samson have a plan to camouflage the depot. It’s in the packet, please review it so you can understand the possibilities of what the battlefield will look like if it’s executed. Our plan of attack is simple; we surround the Sord and let no ships exit. We keep our forces in normal space and catch them when they’re most vulnerable transitioning the Sord. The Lashkau and the Basroil will lead the attack. Admiral Atosuryua will command the attack frigates and the balance of the support class vessels. I’ll command the Kau class ships and Her Highness and Captain Ekuryua will be on their own as long as they bother to inform us of their targets.” Lafiel gazes at Noel, she nods her head and they both stare at Admiral Spoor. Spoor ignores them and continues. “Review the plan, we meet back here at zero nine hundred tomorrow to finalize it. You are dismissed, except for the crew of the Basroil.” Noel and Risch stay everyone else leaves the room. There are two people that Seelnay does not recognize they sit with her and Paveryua.

“Your Highness I figured I’d give you sometime to talk with your crew, before you go into battle. These two are from the shuttle Admiral Bebaus sent, a communications officer and a navigator.” Spoor sits next to Ekuryua, Lafiel stands and introduces the other staff members when she gets to Seelnay the communications officer throws a fit. “She’s executive officer and weapons officer? She’s not Abh.”

Seelnay stared her down. The crystals at the end of her headband started to tremble. Her hands immediately go to her head and she removes it. “You’re a telekinetic aren’t you?” Seelnay smiles. “I am also Her Highnesses sworn protector. Do not underestimate my ability or my wrath.” The rest stared at Seelnay although she had focused her attack at the communications office; they all had sensed Seelnay’s wrath. It was a deep burning sensation. Although it lasted but a moment it was very unnerving to all gathered. “You will excuse me Your Highness. I should not have done that.” Seelnay gets up to leave the group it’s Jinto who pulls at her jacket. “Stay Seelnay. You’re part of the crew. We want to hear your thoughts as we go along.”

Seelnay returns to her seat and Lafiel picks up the conversation a little hesitant of what to say next. She glances towards Admiral Spoor who is still reeling form Seelnay’s little demonstration. “Admiral how much do these two know about the ship?” Admiral Spoor, returning to the here and now answers her. “Not much. I gathered you some crewmembers I figured you could tell them of the improvements.” Lafiel nods she looks to Paveryua. “Engineer tell them about the ship.” As Paveryua goes into a lengthy explanation of the systems upgrades aboard the Basroil the two new crewmembers stare with dropped jaws. “You understand what I’ve told you?”

They nod in unison. Paveryua continues. ”Now as it affects your jobs. There is no change in the communications system. However the navigational system is changed. Because of the ships added performance, the reaction time has been halved over a normal attack vessel. You will notice your horizon field has been drastically enlarged you can see farther than in a normal vessel. Seelnay has honed herself on the system. I’m sure she’ll be happy to help you transition to it.” The communications officer spoke. “First I’d like to apologize to you Seelnay and then ask the following question. Are you well versed on all of the systems aboard the Basroil?”

Before Seelnay could speak Paveryua said. “She helped design most of the modifications to the ship. I might know the Basroil better than she does but it’s just barely.” This admission surprised everyone, even Seelnay. Lafiel asked if there were any more questions. There were no more, she dismissed them and asked everyone to be back here two hours earlier the next morning. They would go through the Basroil before they came to the finalization meeting. She then adjourned the meeting. Seelnay left immediately. Jinto, Lafiel, Noel and Risch stood there. Risch spoke. “Now that was scary, I’ve never felt such.” He looks to Noel she glanced at Jinto he finished it. “Discomfort, a burning sensation? Seelnay seems to have gotten quite a temper. Although she needs to control it better.” He looks at Lafiel. She speaks to him with her eyes. Then he says. “I’ll have a talk with her. For now try not to cross her path.”

They left the room and went their separate ways. Lafiel and Jinto stood in the corridor. “You go on Lafiel I better talk to Seelnay now. We need to get this resolved before we go into battle don’t you think?” Lafiel agreed she kissed him and walked off. Jinto stood there realizing that was the first time in six weeks she had kissed him, and at least he was awake to remember this kiss.

It did not take him long to catch up with Seelnay. She was hesitant to talk at first. Then Jinto struck upon her problem. “You’re afraid you’re going to die? Ku has a lot to do with this doesn’t he?” She nods her head. “I’m sorry Count Hyde I’m being really selfish but I do want to see him again I want to be with him again.” Jinto took a long look at her. “Seelnay if we stop them here they won’t be a threat to Ku, little Plakia or the Capital. If they get through then.” Seelnay’s face went pale then her composure returned. “Count Hyde the only way they will get to Vorash is over my dead body. You need not worry about me. I’m planning on living and winning.” Her words rang in Jinto’s ears any doubt about her loyalty was cleared from his mind. He placed his hands on her shoulders and pulled her towards him. A gentle hug then looking into her eyes he said. “Seelnay all any of us can do is our best. We all have ones we care about that we are defending. I hope we will be victorious and this insanity will finally end once and for all.” She thanked him and walked away. Jinto turned to his right. Martine was in sight just setting below the depot edge. He smiled they all had something to fight for. He returned to a sleeping Lafiel. He and the couch were becoming old friends by now. Sleep came with little effort.

“How much longer to the Hyde system?” The Lord was pacing the bridge. He had slept very little since the transports exploded and from time to time the radar would blip the leading edge of Admiral Bebaus pursuit fleet. “I estimate twenty hours My Lord.” He continued to pace. “That’s good. Have you seen any ships in front of us?” The radar officer stares at the display again.

“No My Lord the way is clear we will be able to see beyond the Sord in another eight hours.” The Lord walks by the radar officer he places his hand on the officer’s shoulder. “Good. Scan past the Sord. I want to know what is waiting for us. No more surprises this time.” He leaves the bridge and returns to his quarters. The sleep, which had been eluding him, comes. It is a deep sleep. He will sleep through a fateful decision his executive officer would make.

Lafiel awoke and dressed. She shook Jinto as she left their quarters. He met her at the Basroil. They boarded and powered up the ship. One by one the crew arrived. Jinto directed them to the conference room where Lafiel was waiting. The last crewmember came aboard and Jinto followed him to the conference room. Lafiel seeing Jinto enter brought the crew to order. “I’d like you attention please. Engineer Paveryua will describe the difference between the Basroil and an normal attack vessel. Paveryua stood he activated the main display and proceeded to explain the differences in propulsion, shields and weaponry. When he was finished he asked if there were any questions. The navigator had one question it dealt with control of the anti-matter cannon. “You mentioned that the aiming of the cannon was independent of the normal navigational functions. Does that mean the ship is controlled by the one firing the cannon?”

Paveryua glanced at Seelnay she started to explain. “The cannon is controllable by the weapons officer and the Captain. The Captain has the override control, which means if I target an object and Her Highness see a more favorable object she can override my targeting. The ships directional control in battle lies with the Captain, should she become unable to direct the ship then the executive officer takes control.” The navigator leans back his comment finds the target. ”But can you fly the ship young lady?”

Seelnay looks across at him, then stands up and faces them all. “I guess yesterdays little demonstration wasn’t enough.” The lights suddenly dim in the room and the systems of the Basroil come one-line one at a time. Seelnay stands there, a blank look on her face her eyes focused on some infinite target. It’s Paveryua’s voice she finally hears. “Seelnay you’ve made your point, shut down the ship at once.” The systems return to there stand by mode. Everyone in the room remains silent. Seelnay turns and walks out of the room. Lafiel follows her; everyone else is still in shock and remains in their seats.

“Seelnay. I command you to stop.” Seelnay stops, she turns towards Lafiel. She is standing stiff with her hands in fists at her side. “Your Highness I’m sor.” Lafiel stood before Seelnay. Her face showed the concern that she was feeling. “Seelnay you have surprised me. It’s seems you can run the ship by yourself.”

Seelnay stood there, the bawling out she prepared herself for was not going to happen. She relaxed her fists. Seeing this Lafiel steps towards her. Seelnay steps into Lafiel arms and starts to cry on her shoulder. Lafiel puts her arms around Seelnay and genuinely comforts her. “It’s alright Seelnay. All of us are under a lot of pressure. Abh’s seem to be genetically disposed to handle it better. Now tell me how have you mastered the ship so quickly?”

Through the shaking and the sobs Seelnay exposed her secret to Lafiel. “This ship has been modified to accept my mental inputs. When the initial testing was started Paveryua discovered it was a simple adjustment of the system to allow it to accept my mental inputs. I’ve spent the last six days refining the settings. Although I cannot control every system aboard the ship, I can control all of the major ones. It’s does however leave me very tired. I doubt if I could control the whole ship for more than an hour without passing out.”

Lafiel holds her tighter. “Seelnay you’ve done all of this to keep me safe haven’t you?” Seelnay nods through the sobs she speaks. “I owe everything to you. You set me free of the Baron and showed me the limitlessness of the universe. I am so indebted to you I can never repay all of your generosity. Until I met Ku, you were my only reason to live, to serve you and keep you from harm. I now see that Count Hyde is capable of caring for you too. I figured this would be the last time we did anything important together and I wanted it to have a happy outcome, so I went overboard didn’t I?” “No Seelnay, it’s all right you did fine. Really.”

Lafiel looks up and see Jinto motioning the crew out of the conference room. Watching the scene they were creating, he was smiled. Lafiel knew she had to comfort Seelnay yet they also had to be at Admiral Spoor meeting too. She took a bold step. “Come Seelnay, we need to go it’s time for the final battle planning meeting. If we are to survive this battle we can’t miss this one.” Seelnay turned still holding on to Lafiel they started walking down the corridor. Jinto was waiting at the door for them to arrive. He stood next to Seelnay she shifted putting one arm around Lafiel and the other around Jinto. They left the Basroil and walked to the Lashkau that way.

The final battle plan turned out to be very straightforward. The fleet would deploy just out of scanning range from the Sord. As the Rebels entered normal space they would wait till all of the ships were through, then surround them and take them out. “Now this assumes that they wonder into our trap willingly. If they do not then we still wait, if we are spotted then we open fire. As to the question about ships surrendering if they surrender in mass then yes we can take the time to accept their surrender. If the battle is raging beware that the Rebels have fooled us by claiming to surrender and then opening fire upon our ships. We are at one to one odds there can be no mistakes, disabling a surrendering ship I find acceptable. Are there any more questions?” Admiral Spoor looked around the room she was greeted with silence. “Very well you are dismissed, return to your ships and await the alert from the patrol ships.” The room clears Lafiel and her senior staff meet up with Ekuryua and her senior staff. They finalize their own operational plans the two ships will operate as one independent group covering each other’s flanks. Ekuryua knows to stay clear of the Basroil’s main weapon.

“There they are. I make it about fourteen hours off. Do concur sir?” The captain of the patrol vessel looks at the display “Yes. There are forty-eight ships total. Signal the other ship we are returning through the Sord, once clear sound the warning.” The patrol ships clear the Sord once they are pointed into the system they broadcast a general warning.

The conversation about going home had most of the bridge crew occupied. The momentary flash of the patrol ships was missed. The executive officer had started the conversation and though his thoughtlessness. The upcoming battle was already decided. The Rebel fleet was sailing into a trap that they would not forget.

“They’re all done Samson. You’ll have remote operation of them from this console.” Paveryua smiled. Sobbash who had just entered the room as Paveryua was making his comment looked confused. “What are you two talking about?” she asked. Samson moves aside and she saw the weapons control console. “I used the beam cannons off the Basroil and Lashkau they are mounted on platforms and fed from the main reactor. The fire control and tracking radar is here. If you sit here Admiral you can control the depot’s defenses.”

Sobbash looks around. There’s a communications station, weapons control, and then she noticed the interface for her headband’s crystals. “Look’s like I command from here.” She looks at Samson he stutters. ”Well it’s the most protected place on the depot. I was just figuring you’d like a birds eye view of the battle and of course you’d want to defend yourself Admiral.”

She looked at the two of them. They were like schoolboys having given the teacher an apple. Then stumbling for the right words to say. The warning alarm breaks the silence. All of them look to their creunoc’s. “The Rebel fleet has been spotted they are twelve hours away. Battle stations in six hours!” those were the orders. “Admiral there are a couple of thing I must tell you before I go.” Paveryua powers up the system. “Due to the limited reactor output of the depot. The effective range of the weapons is one hundred and fifty thousand meters. Admiral, try not to fire them together. You’ll probably fry the power grid if you do. These are defensive weapons only. Use them if you’re going to be attacked. You do follow me Admiral?” Sobbash nods her head.

Paveryua takes his leave. The radar shows the Abh defense fleet deploying. Samson places his hand on Sobbash’s shoulder. “It’s the closest to actual battle that I can do for you. You’ll be able to contribute. That’s what you wanted?” She looks in him in the eye. “You sure you’re not a little bit Abh? Your mind reading skills impress me stationmaster. We have a lot to do and a very short time to accomplish it in. We’ll meet back here in seven hours.” She leaves Samson but he knows she’ll be back.

Paveryua arrives aboard the Basroil. He starts a conversation with the engineering chief aboard the Lashkau. It turns into a very heated discussion. “Commander for the last time. Will you please listen to me? The upgraded systems aboard the Lashkau have a primary power feed weakness. If you fire the antimatter cannon continuously you will wind up adrift and powerless. Eighty five percent power and five-second pauses between firings. You disobey those constraints and you’ll be adrift, if you don’t explode first. Now have I made myself clear Commander?”

The answer from the Commander left doubt in Paveryua’s mind. He then contacted Commander Kufadis and expressed his apprehensions. “Commander you’ve been in on the upgrades since the first conduit was changed. If that engineer of yours has his way he’ll destroy you. If he’s following orders. I’ll bet you the depot. I know who’s doing it and you’ll need to stop her. Paveryua out!”

The display went blank Kufadis leaned back in his chair. The small quarters that he chose suited him well. Now he wished he were anywhere else than where he was now. The thought of having to argue with Spoor was giving him a headache; a small purple pill and the pain went away. Now it was time to see who was ordering the Chief Engineer around. He already knew but he still had to ask. Standing in the Chief Engineers doorway Kufadis spoke. “I’ll handle the Admiral. You will not exceed Paveryua’s instructions. Failure to follow my orders will have you ejected into the vacuum of space.” Kufadis then left the engineer. He knew now that Spoor was on a terror again and he had less than seven hours to settle her down.

All he could think of as he walked to her quarters was. “Why me? Why did I have to fall in love with a nut case?” It took him two hours and finally the Admiral came to his line of thought as he left her he spoke. “I know you want to show off your new toy Admiral. But it’s not put together properly. Killing us all to prove your point is grounds to have me relieve you of command which I’ll do, but I think it won’t be necessary will it Admiral?” Spoor stared at him. “You know you’re really cute when you’re angry Kufadis. I promise I’ll not blow the ship up and I’ll order the Chief Engineer to do the same. You ready to go get this battle over Kufadis?” Kufadis smiled he was beginning to see the Spoor he fell in love with. “Let’s go get them Admiral.” They headed to the bridge together.

Lafiel sat in her quarters. It had been years since she had been aboard a roil class vessel. The quarters seem small and cramped as compared to the attack frigate. She knew her stay here would be only a few hours. So she could deal with the inconvenience. Jinto and Paveryua checked the ships systems and Seelnay prepared the weapons. Once they were on station it’s would be less than six hours before the battle would begin. The Basroil along with Ekuryua’s frigate and the two patrol vessels would hide in the Sord’s event horizon once the Rebel fleet exited the Sord. They would shut off that avenue of escape.

The Lashkau, along with the other Kau class vessels sit behind the fifth moon of the fourth planet. When they emerge they will be directly between the Rebel’s and the Sord that leads to Vorash. Admiral Atosuryua’s Group flanked the Kau class vessels. The plan was to encircle and destroy the Rebel’s in the crossfire. It looked good on paper and the group was battle hardened. Spoor was confident of victory, but not over confidant. There were four hours remaining.

“My Lord. We approach the Sord. When should I launch the mines?” The Lord slams his fist on the armrest. “Fool what are you thinking. There’s a fuel depot that we need desperately. So you want to fire mines into an undefended system and destroy the fuel asteroids. You are such a dolt. How did I ever get stuck with the likes of you?” The Lord looks at the view ahead. He can almost make out the transition to normal space. ”Did you see any movement as we approached?” The first officer stated that the only movement was the ships approaching from the rear. “They are six hours behind us My Lord.” The Lord settles back into his seat. The moment to enter the Hyde System approaches.

“How much longer till we reach the Hyde System?” The navigator checks the display. “About four hours Captain, the battle will surly be going on when we get there.” The Captain reviews his orders. They are to deliver the message to Admiral Spoor at all cost. “If we sit inside the Sords event horizon and broadcast into the system we can still deliver the message and remain invisible.” The navigator agrees, that will be their plan. She prepares the message to be transmitted.

“Captain! Single ship, fast moving about to exit the Sord, no identification being transmitted.” Duhiel scans the Sord. He pressed the alarm on the center console. The ship comes to battle stations, weapons powered up and shield activate. “Who ever it is. If they want a fight, they’ll get one. Send word to my father of what’s happening.” The Sord began to emit its eerie glow and a single space-time shot emerged. “Captain scanning the ship. It’s an Imperial shuttle and it’s refusing our hails.” Duhiel looks at the tactical display. “Weapons officer put a shot across their bow!” a bright blue beam emitted across the flight path of the shuttle.

“We are exiting the Sord Admiral, anticipate the Capital in seven hours.” Admiral Kenesh sat in her quarters calmly reading the report from Ramaj. “Captain we are being hailed.” The shuttle captain ordered the hail refused. The shuttle buffeted violently alarms rang throughout the ship. Kenesh called the bridge. “What just happened?” the bridge replied that they have been fired upon by an Imperial Attack Frigate and they have been ordered to stop. Kenesh sits the report aside and makes her way to the bridge.

Entering the bridge she hears a familiar voice. “Captain you misunderstand me, let me go over this again. You blast out of the Sord displaying no identification signal; your are on a direct course to the Capital and you ignored my hail. You should be lucky you’re not space dust.” Admiral Kenesh stepped into the range of the main viewer “It’s fine Commander you followed your orders well. Now I need to get to the Capital.” Duhiel’s face smiled. “Sorry Admiral if I knew you were abroad I’d just blocked your path with my ship. Firing upon a superior officer does carry a stiff penalty as I remember.”

Kenesh was in no mood to argue with Duhiel. “Commander you shall let me pass that’s an order.” Duhiel easily relented. He let the shuttle pass on its way, about that time the communications officer spoke. “Captain. Your father is requesting communications.” “Very well put him on.” “Duhiel I just received your message is everything alright there?” Duhiel brought his father up to speed on what had transpired. “So Kenesh is back and on her way to the Capital. I don’t like this. Let me talk with her and find out what’s happening. I’ll get back with you my son.” The display goes blank and Duhiel turns his thoughts towards space. “Lafiel I hope you’re safe, come back to me sister alive and well.”

“Captain. When we get to the Capital. You have some explaining to do. Communications officer, put me in contact with Admiral Ramaj. I’ll be in my quarters.” Kenesh then stormed off the bridge and returned to her room. She walked through the door and the red Comm lamp greeted her. She and Ramaj talked for a quarter hour. Her next call was from Debeusec she was very brief with him. She told him that the battle should be starting at the Hyde System and that Lafiel would be taking part in it. The last thing she shared was Ramaj’s last communication. Its content raised an eyebrow on Debeusec’s face. “Is that so. Does Lafiel know this?” Kenesh answered the she had forwarded the information to them and it should arrive before the enemy fleet did. Debeusec thanked Kenesh and contacted Duhiel.

“So you’re saying that Lafiel is defending the Hyde System and they hold no advantage in power, except for two untried ships?” Debeusec confirmed those facts and then he told Duhiel what Ramaj had said to Kenesh. “Is that so? Now I wish I were there. Well they’re picking the wrong member of the family to get angry don’t you think father?” Debeusec mentioned that Lafiel might not be aware of the contents of Ramaj’s message till right before the battle started.

Duhiel’s face grew worried. “Don’t worry father she’ll be alright.” Debeusec ended the conversation. Duhiel left the bridge and headed for his quarters. He would wait there for the outcome of the battle to be received. He lay on his bunk staring at the ceiling it was going to be a long wait.

“My Lord I’ve found the refueling station, there seems to be no activity around it. We’ve caught the Abh off guard!” The Lord orders the fleet to exit the Sord and heads directly for the refueling depot. As the last ship clears the Sord every thing changes. The trap springs shut. “My Lord!” the radar officer said. “We are surrounded! They came from out of nowhere.” The display fills with Abh ships the Lord opens a command channel. “We are under attack, shields to maximum fire at will!”

The last ship passes before them. Lafiel orders the Basroil and group to seal off the Sord. They are detected as soon as they start to move. Noel senses the change in the Rebels ships. “Shields up, we are taking fire!” The patrol vessels targeted the outer most ships. Lafiel and Ekuryua would take the three in the middle. “Fire!” The Rebel’s shielding absorbed the first salvo. Repetitive proton cannon blast started overloading the shields. It’s then that Jinto tried his plan. “Seelnay I want a burst from the anti matter cannon directed at the lead ship of the center group.” Seelnay fired the blast. The Rebel shields disrupted then dropped. Seeing this Lafiel’s group opened up at will, disabling or destroying the ships. Jinto proceeds to inform Kufadis of his findings.

The battle at the front was not going well. Spoor’s group had lost several ships before they saw the bluish purple blast from the area around the Sord. Then Kufadis received Jinto’s message. The Lashkau started using medium power blast coupled with the constant attack from the proton weapons. They were rendering the Rebel ships shields useless. The Rebels were not going to surrender they continued to fight. Although they were incurring greater losses than the Abh were.

“We are within range. Transmitting now.” The shuttle sat at the threshold to the Hyde System. The battle could be seen raging ahead of them. “Keep transmitting till we have acknowledgment of the message. Don’t be too particular on who acknowledges it either. As soon as we receive it we are out of here. The shuttle sits transmitting it’s vital data into the system. Jinto, Sobbash and Kufadis all pick up on the message at the same time. Verifying the code they relate the contents to those around them.

“Jinto are you sure that’s what Ramaj sent?” The ship heels over to avoid debris from a destroyed Rebel ship. "Yes Lafiel I verified it.” She looks to the communication officer. “Are you familiar with the Rebels transmission standards?” She nods. “Jinto. Help me up here. Seelnay any threats around?” Seelnay answers they are clear for the moment. Lafiel has Jinto help her put her hair in a ponytail using a large clasp. She stands and disconnects herself from the ship. “Seelnay you have the ship. Communications officer open a channel to the Rebel flagship.”

At first they seemed to have the upper hand. Then there was this odd purplish glow for one of the Abh ships and the shields of the ships around him started to collapse. Then another ship opened up with the same weapon. The fleet was taking great damage. He was looking for a way out and the Abh had all of the exits blocked. Two ships had tried to take the depot and they were destroyed by surface fire. He though it strange that the refueling station would have surface defenses. His choices were getting slim, and then the communications chief reported that they were being hailed. “The Abh want to talk to you My Lord.” He stood for just a moment. “Increase the lighting and let’s see what the Abh want.”

Your Highness your hail is being accepted putting it on the display now. The Lord of the Rebel fleet stood before her. Even in those clothes and with that beard, Ramaj was correct. Using her best Martinese she spoke. “I am Admiral Lafiel Ablïarsec of the Imperial Star Forces. Who might you be?” The Lord was in shock. Here was the person he should have been holding captive. To use as a bargaining chip with the Abh and she was now holding his life in her hands. “I am Dustain, Lord Commander of the United Mankind Rebel fleet. Why do you wish to speak with me? Are you preparing to surrender?” Lafiel smiles. “I was about to ask you that question myself. We have you out numbered and out gunned. Surrender now and you will live. Continue to fight and you shall die!”

The Lord continued to stare at this woman before him. Her features were strangely familiar to him. The cut of her chin, the placement of her eyes and those ears, yes those ears. He went to speak and the link was suddenly broken.

Seelnay sensed the attack as it was launched. She managed to raise the shields, but not get the Basroil out of the blast in time. The ship shook and lurched violently. Lafiel was knocked off her feet and she hit her head against the center seat as she fell. Jinto was at her side in seconds cradling her head. His hand became covered in blood. “I need medical assistance on the bridge. The Admiral is hurt. Lafiel. Hold on Lafiel. Help is coming.”

That’s all Seelnay need to hear. The next sequence of events happened so quickly that Sobbash monitoring the battle from the depot had to review the data several times before she understood it all. In one all encompassing movement. The Basroil spun on its longitudinal axis. Seelnay, using the anti matter cannon. Targeted and destroyed the closest five Rebel ships to her. Including the one that had attacked them. After clearing the area she returned to the exact point from which she started and opened a link to the Rebels. Her message was simple. “Surrender or Die!” She then targeted the Lords ship.

The crew of the Rebel command ship was in shock. In just seconds this small vessel had completely destroyed five of their best ships. Leaving not a trace that they ever existed and now this small ship was pointed at them a purplish glow growing brighter in front of them. Then a communications link opened and these words were heard. “Surrender or Die!” The voice was not that of the woman from before. This voice sounded of death. The Lord immediately ordered his ships to surrender as he did the purple glow from the small ship diminished. The battle had lasted a mere two hours.

Once the surrender was issued Seelnay opened a link to Noel. “Captain get over here we have trouble. A lot of trouble.” She turns to Jinto he was holding Lafiel she was receiving medical care. “Jinto. I’ve hurt the ship. You need to get Her Highness off the ship as soon as possible.” The evacuation alarm sounds and Paveryua comes on line. “Bridge can you hear me. The reactor is in runaway it should have blown by now. But something is keeping it from exploding. We need to get out of here now. I’ll meet you at the Cilique. Hurry!”

The Basroil was barely staffed, ten were aboard and all of the escape pods were operational. Jinto looks at Seelnay. She was sitting at her console in complete concentration. “You’re the one keeping the ship together aren’t you?” Seelnay shouts to him. “Shut up and get off this ship! Once I stop, I’ll have three minutes to get to an escape pod. So hurry. I’m losing this battle.” Jinto helped carry Lafiel off the bridge. He looked back and saw Seelnay’s pain as she fought to save them all.

The crew loaded Paveryua cast off from the Basroil. He notified Seelnay once they were clear of the ship. Ekuryua showed up shortly after the Cilique had launched. She proceeded to take them aboard the Attack Frigate. Then waited for the escape pod to leave the Basroil. Seelnay mentally opened all of the doors between herself and the escape pod. She made one last effort to avoid the inevitable and then she was off. She almost made it to the escape pod when the first explosion wracked the ship. Breaking the glass and getting in, she launched herself off as the containment field of the reactor collapsed. It was a brilliant purple blue explosion.

The group containing the Lashkau and Atosuryua’s fleet had taken heavy damage. Admiral Spoor had refrained from using the Anti matter cannon and relied on the Lashkau’s standard weapon systems. Once she saw how the Basroil was able to overload the Rebel shielding she proceeded to make effective use of the Anti matter cannon. She was about to ask for their surrender, when Lafiel contacted the Rebel flagship. Spoor watched as Lafiel almost brought about the surrender. Then in amazement as the Basroil single handedly destroyed five enemy ships in a matter of seconds.

She was ready to congratulate Lafiel when the Basroil exploded in front of them. It was the longest ten minuets until Kufadis received the report that everyone had made it off the Basroil. Spoor watched his face as he received the final part from Ekuryua. “Admiral they have all been rescued, however, Her Highness is injured. She is unconscious. That’s all I know Captain Ekuryua is headed for the depot.” Spoor settles back into her chair. “Kufadis round up the prisoners. I want their commander brought here at once!”

Samson was stunned. The Basroil destroyed. The Lashkau damaged. One third of the other ships damaged or destroyed. He looks at Sobbash. “I don’t understand. They had enough firepower in those two ships to destroy this entire system why didn’t they use it?” Sobbash shows Samson the message from Ramaj and Kenesh that was beamed from the Vorash Sord. “Use all possible restraint. Capture the fleet commander alive. We have good reason to believe he is” Samson stops reading there and shakes his head. “You have to be kidding me. They really believe that?” Sobbash takes his hand and looks him in the face. “Yes. I’ve seen him. They are correct. That’s why Her Highness risked everything to stop the madness. Then she winds up injured not even knowing the outcome.” Samson stared at her. He’d not heard anything about Lafiel being injured. “Come Sobbash we have a ship to meet and friends to hold dear.” They depart together.

“Jinto! Jinto! what happened? Why can’t I see you? Why can’t I hear you?” Lafiel lays motionless on the table as the doctor checks her over. “You’re luck her hair was in a ponytail, see here.” The doctor was holding the hair clasp Lina had given Lafiel, there was a large dent in it. “The clasp took most of the blow had it not been there the edge of the chair would have pierced her neck and she would be dead now. The impact from her head hitting the chair and the trauma of the blow to the neck has her like this. I’ll know more once I can get her to the hospital on the depot. Why don’t you get some rest Count Hyde? I’ll call you if anything happens.”

Jinto leaves the wardroom. Noel is waiting outside. “How is she?” Jinto holds the clasp in his hand. “Looks like Lina’s going to get her grandchildren.” Noel stares in confusion. Jinto explains everything to her as they walk to the bridge. “Noel how long till we get to the depot. I’ve lost all track of time?” She glances at her Creunoc. “Four hours, with all the debris floating around I dare not go any faster.” She looks Jinto in the face and holds him in her arms. “She going to be alright. She is one tough little Princess, you’ll see.” She was trying to convince herself too. They walked slowly to the bridge.

Seelnay had not spoken a word since she was rescued. She sat quietly in the engineering department listening to the sounds of the ship. She could tell that Ekuryua was taking the most direct route but the debris field was overwhelming. The ships systems were working hard to push the debris out of the way. If only she could. She stopped herself there she’d done enough damage for one day. Still the Princess lay injured it was her sworn duty to protect her. But in protecting her she had accidentally injured her.

She was in a deep depression when Paveryua found her. “Hey.” he sat next to her. “I want to thank you for saving us back there.” She stared at the wall. “I was the one who destroyed the ship. I should be thanking you for acting so fast and getting everyone off.” Paveryua looks amazed. “You really don’t know do you? Here looks at this.” He hands her readout. ”That’s from the master data crystal in engineering. The reactor was already acting up when we took that last attack. What you did was, you got the most out of a dying ship. Now, if I had the bridge logging crystal I could figure out what caused the problem.” Seelnay opens the first two buttons of her blouse and produces a blood red crystal. “Almost forgot to get this. The delay just about killed me.” She hands Paveryua the crystal. Without thinking he gives her a smooch on the cheek. “You’re amazing Seelnay just amazing.” He leaves with both crystals. She goes looking for Count Hyde.

Admiral Spoor took the long walk to the Lashkau’s brig. The Rebel commander had requested to speak with her. She entered the room where he was being held. Hair trimmed and beard shaved he stood with his back to her. Turning towards her she still was taken back by the figure before her. No doubt remained this was the original Dusanyu. The sense organ had a flap of skin sewn over it and the hair had been dyed gray, but those Ablïarsec ears still remained.

He motioned for her to sit down. Spoor remained standing universal translator in had she spoke to him. “Why did you want to see me?” Dustain replied in Abh. “I understand your language in fact it seems to be natural for me to speak this way. That woman, the one who looked like me? Where is she? May I speak with her?” Spoor shook her head. “She been injured, I do not know how badly. You’ll have to wait till she recovers, if she recovers, to speak with her.” He put his face in his hands and wept. “I have to know. Are we related, that woman and I?” Spoor stood there she did not know how to answer that question. Finally she spoke. ”I can not tell you about things like that now. Not until I get instructions on what to do with you.” He sat there and nodded. She left him and returned to the bridge.

“Kufadis did you find that shuttle?” Spoor was walking towards him. “Got them, they thought they’d hit and run but they’ve decided different. You need to thank Admiral Atosuryua though. She convinced them to stay around.” Spoor shook her head. “I see, send the thank you note will you Kufadis?” Kufadis shook his head. She was back to her old self again. Something he needed to change, but that could wait for now. He composed a nice message signed it for Spoor and sent it along. Then he finished the battle report and sent it off to the Capital using the shuttle that became suddenly available. The only incomplete section was concerning the Princess condition.

Arriving at the depot Lafiel was transferred to the hospital. Jinto was consistently at her side. Her condition remained the way it was when she was originally transferred. She was resting comfortably and would respond to touch and pain but was still unconscious. The doctor saw no permanent damage although she did have a nasty bump on her head. “She should come around in a day or two.” The doctor said.

Admiral Bebaus arrived to find the remainder of the Rebel fleet being scrapped. He was surprised that the force at the depot had done so well. When he heard about what had happened to Her Highness, all other matters seemed unimportant. He enter her room, Jinto was sleeping in a chair by her side his movements awoke Jinto. “Admiral Bebaus you’ve arrived.” Nefee stood at her side. “My brother almost killed you two at Lobnas II. Now it looks like my carelessness has almost cost the Princess her life.” Jinto was confused. “Admiral I don’t understand what you’re saying. You stopped seventy-five percent of the Rebel fleet. You though you could stop them all?” Nefee looks at him. “Yes Count Hyde. I should have put an end to it at Sord 577. But my carelessness caused those ships to escape. Now they’ve impacted your life. I hope you two can forgive me.” Nefee touches Lafiel hand. “I’m so sorry Your Highness. I hope my words find their way to your heart and you do forgive me.” Nefee leaves the room. Lafiel, for the first time moves. Every so slightly in the bed but she did move. Jinto went looking for the doctor.

“Lafiel, Lafiel darling it’s time to come in, dinner is ready.” Lafiel is playing in the garden. It’s Lady Plakia’s voice she hears. “Coming. I’m coming, don’t start without me.” She runs through the garden and towards the royal quarters. It’s her sixth birthday. Her grand mother took time to be with Lafiel and she knew not to disappoint her grand mother. She rounded the corner to the dining room then she tripped and fell, hitting her head. She was out for most of that day. She missed her party. When she awoke she was very disappointed. Now she has other feelings. “Jinto why did you leave me? Why can’t I find you? Nothing makes sense, Jinto help me don’t leave me.”

Jinto and the doctor return to the room, Lafiel is trying to move her lips and fingers. Jinto can see her eyes moving rapidly under her eyelids. Instinctively he grabs hold of her hand. She grips it firmly and lets out a great sigh. “Jinto you’re back you didn’t leave me. Why can’t I see you? Why can’t I speak to you? It’s not fair I want to tell you so many things and now I’ll just be glad you’re here.”

Her movements quite down, but she still holds firmly to his hand, the doctor moves the chair to where Jinto can sit and still keep his hold fast. “This is a good sign Count Hyde. I’ll stop by in an hour and see how things are going.” The doctor leaves the room and Jinto rests his head next to Lafiel’s lap. That’s where he falls into a deep sleep comforted by the beating of her heart.

The victory celebration was postponed. A somber and quiet gathering was taking place. Sobbash and Samson are sitting at a table toasting each other’s good health. Noel, Risch, Spoor, Kufadis, Atosuryua, Seelnay and Paveryua sat listing to the battles details being told to Admiral Bebaus. Basically, they were all very bored. The argument finally erupted between Seelnay and Paveryua.

“For the last time Seelnay I’m telling you the injury she suffered was not your fault. You do know how to read don’t you?” Seelnay glared at him. “Woman you’re not scaring me. Now read this.” He tossed the data file in front of her. She starts to read it then shuts it again. “Nice try Paveryua. You faked these so I would not feel so bad. But it won’t work.” Noel reached across the table and grabbed the folder she and Risch started reading and passing pages to Spoor and Kufadis. Seelnay tried to claim the folder but Noel stared her down. “You know Seelnay this does make you out the hero. But that can’t be right. You never do things like, deliver babies in strange meeting halls, and go to forbidden planets to gather exotic foods. You’re right. You just sit on your ass and do nothing but feel sorry for yourself.”

The first blow flew wide of Noel’s head. Diving over the table and into Seelnay’s arms they started to battle. Paveryua, Samson, Sobbash and Risch entered the fray. A couple of minutes pass and it was finished. Samson and Paveryua held Seelnay fast and Sobbash and Risch had Ekuryua in tow. Admiral Spoor looked at this scene and spoke. “You two settle this now. If the Princess was here what do you think she would say?” Seelnay looks to Ekuryua she looks back. They both smile. “She’d probably be right in the middle of this.” Seelnay said. She extends a hand to Ekuryua. “Friends?” Ekuryua extends a hand back. “Yeah can’t stay mad at you for any length of time. When she gets better. We’ll go see the baby?”

Spoor, Sobbash, Samson, and all with in ear shout stare. Seelnay smiles. “Long story, very long story.” She and Ekuryua start to laugh in all of the excitement they had forgotten to explain the incident at Vorash. Risch pulls Samson and group aside and explains the birthing experience to them. Spoor’s only response was. “Baby Plakia? What prompted her to name the child that?” Risch told her that the Princess held the answer to that question.

“You hit your head and missed all of yesterday Lafiel but you and I can still have a party of our own.” Lady Plakia stood her arms outstretched, Lafiel hopped into them and she carried her to the garden where they had a wonderful time.

Now she stood at the gardens of Martine with Lina at her side. “These gardens and the centuries of work put into them are the one thing that makes every resident of this planet proud. Princess.”

She looks in the reflecting pond. It’s like glass her reflection so still, so lifelike, the pool speaks. “Lafiel you are such a fool. You have happiness before you and you can’t decide whether to take it or not.” Lafiel sits at the edge of the pool. “I’ve never had to make a decision that concerns my happiness before. Until now all of those decisions have been made for me. What do I do?” The reflection in the pool smiles, “Just follow your heart. You’ll make both of us very happy if you do.” The reflection vanishes. Her head and neck start to throb.

The first sound she hears is the rhythmic beeping of the monitor. Her head feels as if Diaho is sleeping on it. Her neck is stiff and her right hand feels all warm and sweaty. Opening her eyes she surveys her surroundings. She in a hospital room the lights are set dim and looking to the right hand she can’t move. She finds Jinto firmly attached to it. Moving her left arm to his face, she touches him. His eyes open and his face smiles. “You’re back. You really had me worried this time.” Jinto turns his head and looks to her face she’s smiling back. “Jinto I love you. Come to me.” He raises his head off the bed releases her hand and places his face inches from hers. She puts her arms over his shoulders and pulls herself to his face their lips touch she releases her hold and smiles. ”I’ve wanted to do that for the longest time just kiss your lips to feel your arms around me. Can we go? I don’t want to be in this bed any longer than I have to.”

The doctor pokes his head into the room. “Oh! You’re awake. How do you feel?” Lafiel takes stock. “My head and neck hurt a little, outside of that I feel fine. Can I leave here?” The doctor pulls a small light from his pocket. “Let me have a look at you first.” Shining the light in Lafiel eyes checks her pupils they react normally. He looks in both of her ears no swelling. He takes his finger and has her follow it with her eyes and that proves normal. “Young man. You want to help steady her. Lets see if you can stand up.” Lafiel sits up in the bed she is still dressed in her uniform minus the tunic. She swings her feet over the side and applies her weight to them. She’s a bit unsteady at first. Jinto stands ready to catch her. She regains her balance quickly. She turns to Jinto. “Everybody’s waiting for us. I know where they are. I want to go!”

Jinto looks at the doctor he nods his approval and adds the following comment. “If she begins to feel light headed or dizzy you get her back here no arguments.” They both agree Jinto takes her tunic and helps her on with it. She asks for her hair to be in a ponytail. Jinto gives her the hair clasp; she sees the dent realizes it saved her life and proudly wears it in her hair. They leave the hospital. It’s a short walk to the tavern. As the approach they hear Seelnay and Noel arguing.

“As soon as she is well enough. I’m heading for Vorash. I want to see the baby.”
“Seelnay. You are not fooling anybody. You want to see him. Seelnay’s got a boyfriend!”
“Captain stand still. Wait till I get my hands on you. The Princess herself won’t be able to save you this time.”
Seelnay lunges towards Noel, a voice from behind them freezes them in their tracks.

“Can’t leave you two alone for five minutes without you trying to kill each other off. I see!”

Everyone in the room turns towards the very familiar voice. Admiral Bebaus is the closest to her. He steps before her the rest gather behind. “I’m happy to see you’re better Princess. I was very worried about you.” The rest of the group greets them they all sit and the real celebration begins. Seelnay approaches Lafiel. “I’m sorry about the ship.” Lafiel looks very confused. Seelnay looks to Jinto he smiles. “Seelnay she doesn’t know. I guess you’d better tell her.”

Jinto moves over to let Seelnay sit next to Lafiel. She reports on the final moments of the Basroil. She hands Lafiel the crystals from the ship. “I’m sorry Your Highness. That’s all there is left of the ship, just a bunch of data.” Lafiel takes the crystals from her hand and thanks her for saving the crew in her absence. “But I was the one who.” Lafiel put her finger across Seelnay’s lips. “I’ll not have you speaking like that. You put those wrong thoughts out of your head Seelnay. You understand me?” Seelnay nods. Lafiel continues. “The ship blowing up has made what I want to do next a lot simpler.” Seelnay looks at Lafiel, she wonders if she is all their. Her last comment makes no sense to her.

Standing up Lafiel takes her fork and gently tapping her glass she attracts everyone’s attention. The group turns towards her and once she knows everyone is listening she speaks. “I have an announcement to make. I’ve just been informed I no longer have a ship to command. I also notice that there are four officers of command grade present. I there fore ask to be relieved of my present duties, pursuant to section thirty-nine and returned to inactive duty status in the Star Forces.” Admiral Spoor stands as senior officer she accepts Lafiel’s request. Then she poses a question. “Princess does this mean you’ll be returning to the ambassador ranks?”

Lafiel smiles. “I plan on doing that. However I have a pressing issue I need to address first.” Spoor stands before Lafiel puzzled. “Your Highness what could be more important than serving the Empire as an ambassador?” Lafiel stands proudly and looking at Jinto says. “I’m getting married!” A hush falls over the room. Jinto looks Lafiel in the eyes, she speaks to him. “That is if you’ll still have me, Jinto.” Jinto rises from his seat and takes Lafiel’s hands. ”You really had to ask?” They embrace and kiss the room explodes into thunderous applause. Over the noise Lafiel asks one question. “How soon and where do you want to have the ceremony?” Jinto smiles. “We got time to figure that all out, just enjoy the moment!” Lafiel looks around the room at all the confused, yet otherwise happy faces. Her heart was singing it sang a song of joy she had never felt before. The celebration went on till dawn.

Jinto paid the tavern owner and thanked him for staying open till dawn. Returning to the table where Samson, Paveryua, Risch, and Kufadis sat he said his good byes reminding all of them that he and Lafiel would be resting for a couple of days before they decided on their next move. “You guys are welcome to come by. Just don’t show up unannounced.” Kufadis had one question. “I’d like to explore this institution of marriage some more. Is there somewhere I can get more information on it?” Samson taps him on the shoulder. “I got everything you need to read. But somehow I don’t feel the Admiral is going to be the marrying kind.” Kufadis blushed. “I’m just curious that’s all.” That comment brought a chuckle out of everyone else. Jinto looks over to the table where Lafiel was sitting. “I think I need to get her and get going. Good night all.”

He proceeded to gather up Lafiel. She was in this conversation with Spoor, Sobbash, Seelnay and Noel. At first she resisted. Then she saw the sun rising over the depot and realized she had not had any real sleep in quite a while. The balance of the group left along with Jinto and Lafiel. Walking to their quarters Lafiel asked one question, “Jinto do you want me to wear your mothers wedding dress?” Jinto asked. “Is there a problem?” Lafiel drug her foot a bit. “Well I don’t have your mother’s figure and I really be comfortable in a formal dress uniform.” Jinto pulled her towards him and gently chuckled. “I guess I was hoping for a miracle. It’s your wedding Lafiel. It’s your day wear what makes you happy.” She hugged him tightly as they continued to walk towards the sunrise.

To be continued.. In Happier Days.

Diaho
Site Administrator

Re: 13_The Truth Behind the Lies

Post by Diaho »

Spacing post..